How to extract thumbnails from .CR2 files

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
edited December 24, 2005 in Finishing School
Here's a question for the hard-core techies out there: Does anybody know of a free or very cheap program that can extract a thumbnail from Canon .CR2 files? Exifutils almost does the trick but it does not automatically rotate shots in portrait orientation. I know that I can build a CS2 droplet that will do it but the processing takes forever that way. It would need to be either an MS-DOS utility or a Windows program that accepts command line arguments.

Why do I want it? I built myself a database application (in MS Access) to catalog my photos last year. It includes a thumb of every pic. There is no problem with the pics that I have processed, as I can get the correct thumb from the .JPG. But I also keep some of the second string shots--which are only in RAW--for a rainy day. These are the ones that potentially have the rotation problem. When I built the app, I was only shooting shooting JPG but now I only shoot RAW. I don't want to get into the gory details of internal file formats, so I am looking for a utility I can plug into the processing pipe.

Thanks,

Comments