DVD Help

gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
edited August 26, 2004 in The Big Picture
I know this nothing to do with photography, but I know a couple of you work in TV and may be able to help.
I've just bought a DVD for my brother in New York, I stupidly forgot about the PAL/NSTC issue. The DVD I bought is PAL.
Firstly will he be able to play it?
Secondly if he can't, I have a dvd writer, can I copy and convert it?

Thanks

Comments

• PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2004
    Pal vs NTSC is touchy. Technically speaking, the DVD Player will not play PAL format. And if it does, it may not be pretty.

With your DVD Writer, you could potentially rip and re-encode the movie into PAL BUT your DVD Writer may only accept NTSC formatted movies also (bummer). So you gotta try playing it on your computer first before you take the next step.

If you're ready to accept the challenge, here's the steps you need to take...

In a worst case scenario, sell it on ebay Internationally.

Feel free to PM me or email me with any questions. I've worked quite a bit with DVD video.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2004
    thanks

That looks complictated, is it as bad as it looks once you get started?? headscratch.gif
  • PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    thanks

That looks complictated, is it as bad as it looks once you get started?? headscratch.gif
    Umm....kinda. On a scale from 1-10, re-encoding movies is at about a 7. It's the biggest pain in the arse out there. But at least you have a step by step in case you decide to try and tackle this monster. Make sure you have at least 5gb free space before starting.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF