Options

Offering packages but no ability to include mounting and finishes...need suggestions!

prestiqueprestique Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited December 29, 2013 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
So I spent a great deal of time creating my packages or "collections," and did so based on the competitive market I'm in. Most of the photogs that I compete with offer collections that come with certain types/numbers of prints. That's obviously very commonplace and/or obvious. But they also include mounting and finishes to certain sized images within their collections.

However, this doesn't seem to be possible when creating packages on SmugMug. My clients can choose a package, but then it's up them to choose the mounting and finishes. This is tricky for me because I originally included that in the price of the collection. Not to mention it's probably extremely confusing for them to go through the order process. Once they go through and do it, it makes sense and if they use me again, they probably won't have issues ordering again.

Other photogs also have the ability to include digital image packages. Again, this doesn't seem possible with SmugMug.

Just wondering if any of you have any suggestions on how to get around this issue of mounts/finishes in packages. I thought I could apply the proof delay and then go in and add the mount/finish to each image in their cart, but that's not possible...and it would charge them more to add them, and that will contradict the "all in" package pricing I gave them.

Only option I see is to place all orders for my clients so that I can make all the decisions and choices myself. But I would imagine that's pretty risky and with lots of clients, very easy to run up a credit card quickly with all of their orders.

Again, any suggestions here? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2013
    Pros have been asking for the ability to sell mounted/finished prints as standard items (not options) and/or to sell them as upgrades and mark them up for additional profit since June of 2012 when this feature was first added. Smugmug reps have continually given BS responses like "we hear you loud and clear" and "it's on our radar," but have done nothing to make this possible in the year and a half since. Pro customers obviously aren't their priority. Self-fulfillment of orders has been the #1 most requested feature request for a long time (see: http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug ) and they refuse to add that as well. After smugmug redesigned their site last summer and still did nothing to add these key features, I switched to Zenfolio. My new site doesn't look as flashy, but on the other hand I did just get a $1000 order of canvases from a wedding I shot last year and was able to self-fulfill it for $250 through Artsy Couture. I'm sure Zenfolio will catch up on the look of their site, but in the meantime I made more in that one sale than I did in the last several years worth of sales on Smugmug.