Options

Tripod selection

jtmivjtmiv Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
edited January 18, 2014 in Accessories
Dear Board,

I am looking at getting a tripod and to me at least the choices are mind-boggling. I need something to support a 1DMK11 or gripped 20D used with a Sigma 150-500. I am also 6'5" tall and while I don't mind stooping down a bit I don't want to have to look through the viewfinder with my hands on my knees. Weight is only a minor consideration, a tripod and head that weighs between 5 and 7 pounds is easily within my handling abilities. The ability to convert to a monopd is a plus but not a requirement. I have a budget figure of $ 400.00 +/-.

Reading reviews and threads on the internet leads me to believe I need a tripod capable of supporting anywhere from 15 to 40 pounds depending on the brand and how they rate their capacity. Some people hang 600/f4's on Manfrotto 055PRO's and others wince at putting even a 70/200/f2.8 on the same set of sticks.

I know many people will suggest overspending on the tripod to insure I get something that will last. That is fine in theory but I can't see any advantage to spending what I spent on my second hand body and lens for a part time support system. If I get flush enough to own a $ 10,000 camera and lens combo I'll drop $ 1,000 plus on the support system but until then I'd really like to stay around the $ 400.00 mark.

Is there anyone out there with my gear or something similar that can make a recommendation based on actually using a particular tripod set up? I'd love to go and look at rigs but I really don't have the opportunity to shop and inspect tripods anywhere locally.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :D

Comments

• Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2013
    jtmiv wrote: »
    ... Is there anyone out there with my gear or something similar that can make a recommendation based on actually using a particular tripod set up? I'd love to go and look at rigs but I really don't have the opportunity to shop and inspect tripods anywhere locally.

When I use a tripod (which is rare as they don't let me get low enough) I use old alu Gitzos - either a series 4 or 5, both bought used - for typically about £50 - £60.

I looked for really cosmetically challenged (but functional) items as many ppl seem to only want pristine samples.

Best deal I got was a series 5 Giant - sold needing tlc / spares or repairs - but was fine (in my opinion) for above sort of money ( I also got a Gitzo PL5 head for £12 incl. P+P:) )

My main use for a 'normal' tripod / head (use a video head) is for aerial / bif shots, where height is less critical - or one with all the extension legs removed, which is then slung in water, legs splayed, with a custom turntable (no head) - used when my other custom low-level gear isn't suitable / won't work.

I use a 1Dm3 + 500f4, btw.

hth

pp
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2013
    My gear is not as heavy as yours, but I share your height problem. I went with Giottos legs (MT-9371, which are now discontinued) and Kirk BH-3 ballhead. I would love the latest and greatest Really Right Stuff gear, but it's just too much money. I have found the Giottos/Kirk combo to be more than satisfactory, and the price was much lower than the really high-end stuff. For 1D + Bigma weight, you may want to go with a larger head than I have (like the Kirk BH-1, or others will recommend brands like Photo Clam), but I would recommend taking a look at Giottos and Kirk. My kit was in the $600 range, but that included an L-bracket for my camera, which added about $150, IIRC. I love the L-bracket, but you may find that unnecessary.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that as a fellow tall person, you can totally find a reasonably priced kit that won't have you hunched over all the time. In fact, I had to draw some lines on the lowest leg section so I'd know how far to extend them, as the legs went quite a bit taller than I thought they would after running all the numbers. With creative use of the reversible center column, I can even get the camera all the way down to ground level, so I have found this kit to be very useful. I wouldn't use it to support my own weight or to jack up a car, so if you're shooting in a hurricane you'll want something else, but I have found it to be rock solid and easy to use for my shooting. At the end of a full day, it can get heavy, but usually that's not an issue.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2013
    When I was shooting the Bigma (50-500mm) I used a Slik DX700 tripod and a Jobu Jr. 2 gimbal. IMO the Slik tripod was a good compromise between cost and weight. It will also allow you to use it standing up :)

The Jobu Jr. 2 has been replaced with the 3 and the combo comes in at just over your budget.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jobu-Jr-3-Gimbal-Head-/310424382376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item4846bc2ba8

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/557127-REG/Slik_615_317_700DX_Pro_Tripod_Legs.html

Cheers, Don
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2013
    My sympathies. It is very complicated. Here is my suggestion, based on what I went through:

1. Decide on weight. You already have a generous range. If you buy carbon fiber, the legs will be light, but there is a lot of variation in the weight of heads.
    2. If you decide on carbon fiber (all I can speak to, because I quickly narrowed it down to that for me), there are a lot of reasonably good sets between $200 and $300, or there were a few years ago. You can buy reasonable quality without paying top dollar, but cheap is generally bad.
    3. If you decide that the $200-300 range is OK, then start making a spreadsheet, crossing individual tripods with features. This may sound nuts, but there are so many different features, this was the only way I could keep track of them. You can get a pretty good list of features from the B&H website. I would include, for example: max height without center column, max height with the center column, whether the column can be angled, reversed, or split, whether there is a hook for hanging a weight for stability, whether the feet have retractable spikes, etc. I don't remember the entire list now, but it was long. Then decide which features matter for you so that you can narrow down. One important feature that is typically not given is the angles of the legs at their most upright position. I finally went in to B&H to look at a bunch, then retreated home to mull it over before ordering.
    4. Heads pose a harder decision, IMHO. First, small balls usually means less smooth action, so there is a tradeoff with weight. Second, some of the really good ones are very expensive. It was my conclusion that the difference between mid-level and high-end heads is probably bigger than the difference between mid-level and high-end legs. I opted for a small head because I carry my stuff hiking and wanted to keep it light, but the head I have really isn't very good.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV.
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2013
    Since I neglected to mention leg angles and centre columns, the tripods I use have 3 leg angles, but I remove the centre column and mount the head directly on top of the tripod.
    Incidentally, whilst I've tried mounting gear underneath a tripod - on a reversed centre column - with the gear either inverted or right side up (via adaptors) and agree it might have some use in particular (very limited, mainly static macro?) situations, it's of zero use (imo) in low-level dynamic tracking type scenarios. Apart from anything else, the tripod legs get in the way.
    I think it's one of those 'features' mentioned in brochures and (repeated in) 'reviews' etc ... by people who've only done a limited amount of shooting (if any) in said configuration / setup :)

pp
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2013
    I remove the centre column and mount the head directly on top of the tripod.

I also do that. I do carry the adjustable column in my tripod bag, but I can't remember the last time I actually used it.
    Incidentally, whilst I've tried mounting gear underneath a tripod - on a reversed centre column - with the gear either inverted or right side up (via adaptors) and agree it might have some use in particular (very limited, mainly static macro?) situations, it's of zero use (imo) in low-level dynamic tracking type scenarios. Apart from anything else, the tripod legs get in the way.
    I think it's one of those 'features' mentioned in brochures and (repeated in) 'reviews' etc ... by people who've only done a limited amount of shooting (if any) in said configuration / setup :)

pp

Exactly right. I mentioned it simply to point out that it is possible, if that is a desired feature. I've really only tried it a couple of times, just playing around in my living room. But if one desired to do HDR or time-lapse, and wanted to have that extreme-low angle (and didn't want to just put the camera on the ground or a bean bag), it's relatively easy to do that with a reversible center column. Since the minimum height is often a spec that is important to some photographers, I simply point out that while the minimum "normal" height on my legs isn't all that impressive, I can get around that if I choose. So far every single time I've used it, I've not chosen to do that other than goofing around to see if it works. And btw, with the L-bracket and the drop notch on the ballhead, it's quite easy to shoot with the camera right-side up and doesn't need any special adapters. But I totally agree with you. It is a "possible but not very useful" feature of having the reversible column.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2013
    ... And btw, with the L-bracket and the drop notch on the ballhead, it's quite easy to shoot with the camera right-side up and doesn't need any special adapters ...

Yes, can imagine :)

My use of the word 'adaptors' covered items such as 'L-bracket / plate' ... it's just that it's highly unlikely I'd ever buy one when it's relatively easy to make something that'll do the same job ... assuming we're discussing lenses that don't have tripod rings / mounts (unlike mine or the OP's).

pp
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2013
    i have the 150-500 and a d7000 I use a gimbal head like this one and a video tripod. its steady and smooth....and you may want an arca plate for the lens.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEIKE-BK-45-Professional-Gimbal-Tripod-Head-for-Camera-Telephoto-Lens-/181256836393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a33bfd529

good luck
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2013
    Dear Board,

Thank you for all the information you've offered. I especially appreciate that people who use gear that is the same or similar to mine have made suggestions, as that is exactly what I was hoping for with my questions.

To Don K. Did you ever feel that the SLIK 700 legs had trouble handling your rig? I ask only because those legs are rated for a lower capacity than many I've come across in my research. I'm willing to spend more to get more but what I don't know is how SLIK's 15 pound capacity equates to Brand X's 30 pound capacity? I don't want to spend $ 200 - 300.00 for legs that spec better but don't actually do any more.

To time2smile I've seen some other knock-off heads like the one you linked that mimic the Wimberly Sidekick or the Jobo that Don K. recommended. Have you had good luck with the Beike gimbal mount? Is it holding up well for you?

I don't want to take the inexpensive route and risk damaging my gear but at the same time I really do want to try to limit my total expense to $ 400.00. In reading the responses here and in talking to a buddy at work who shoots with 1DMk11N and a 500/f4 I've come to realize that for my Sigma 150-500 I'll like a gimbal head more. However, I also want to purchase a ball head for use with other lenses in situations where the ability to follow action is not as much of a necessity as it is with birds and/or wildlife.

Thanks again for all the helpful information.

Regards,

• Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2013
    Tim,

I have a knockoff, for two years now. Similar to the one I linked, I could not find the exact one. I only use it for the 150-500 maybe 10 days a year. Been working well for me. I also switch between ball and gimbal on that tripod.

I also have a small carbon tripod, forget the brand, that I picked up from B&H when I visited there. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you need to go to B&H. They have thirty+ on display and another dept for video pods (very sturdy).

Good Luck Happy Hunting
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2013
    To Don K. Did you ever feel that the SLIK 700 legs had trouble handling your rig? I ask only because those legs are rated for a lower capacity than many I've come across in my research. I'm willing to spend more to get more but what I don't know is how SLIK's 15 pound capacity equates to Brand X's 30 pound capacity? I don't want to spend $ 200 - 300.00 for legs that spec better but don't actually do any more.

Hi Tim,

Short answer is no problem, after using a 8 # rig on the Slik legs for a short time I never felt the need to even look/lust at larger, more expensive legs.

Cheers, Don
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2013
    ... // ...In reading the responses here and in talking to a buddy at work who shoots with 1DMk11N and a 500/f4 I've come to realize that for my Sigma 150-500 I'll like a gimbal head more. However, I also want to purchase a ball head for use with other lenses in situations where the ability to follow action is not as much of a necessity as it is with birds and/or wildlife.

What (kit) you finally end up with will, I suspect, depend a lot on your primary interests - so I wondered if you'd considered any of the products that convert a ball head into a gimbal head?

I've zero experience of using such items, but I'd have thought that they were worth checking out, since QR plates would allow quick conversion and with a lens such as yours (lighter than the big primes) you'd possibly be able to get a lighter, more compact, versatile - and cheaper support solution.

Btw, whilst gimbal heads are often mentioned as the head of choice for supporting long, heavy tele lenses, they are certainly not used by all wildlife pros - who prefer video heads.

pp
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2013
    Dear Paul,

Now you've done it. You added the idea of video heads and now I'll be even more confused. rolleyes1.gif

Actually I have pretty much narrowed things down to purchasing a Slik 700DX kit with a panhead for $ 139.00, a Vanguard 250SBH for about $ 80.00, and one of the knock-off gimbals from Opteka, Beike, or Coral Pro for about $100.00 - $ 150.00. I could just buy the Slik legs and get the whole shooting match for about $ 279.00 from B&H.

I did consider a ballhead and add-on side mount quick release gimbal but they are over $ 200.00 alone so I would have almost double the money in that rig when I combine it with a ball head.

I won't do anything until after the Holiday's so maybe something new will be on sale or maybe something I was considering will be more expensive?

If anyone has any additional ideas feel free to toss them into the pot.

Regards,

• Options
    edited December 18, 2013
    ... and now I'll be even more confused. rolleyes1.gif

Well, imo, there's no perfect (support) solution for all shooting situations - whatever some people might suggest and irrespective of money ... assuming there's a product available for purchase at all.

Making the decision after the 'silly season' is over sounds like a good move to me, btw.

pp
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2014
    Well, I bought a tripod
    Dear Board,

I figured I should update you about my purchase since someone might search the threads looking for suggestions.

I bought a set of Benro legs, model A3580F, along with a Benro B-2 ball head and a Promaster GH-10 gimbal. As I said originally, I wasn't seeking pro-level gear but I can tell you all that I am pleased with my choices and I think they will serve me well for a good long time.

If you are a tall person, and you are "thrifty", you'd be hard pressed to do better than the Benro A3580. I'm 6'5" and without extending the center column at all I have to sort of tiptoe up the eyepiece on either my gripped 20D or 1DMK2 to see through it when it is mounted on either the ball head or the gimbal mount. Honestly, that was what I was looking for, I wanted big height for short money and at $ 168.00 for the legs in a nice case that holds the tripod with the ball head mounted I think I did pretty darn good. Plus it comes with spiked feet and a nice tool kit.

As far as the ball head is concerned in retrospect I don't know if I would still chose a double action ball head? It's a bit tricky and it requires some fiddling to get the hang of how it works but it does hold all of my gear solidly and securely even if I hang the 1D and Sigma 150-500 on it.

The Promaster gimbal is the equivalent of pretty much all of the Wimberley knock-off gimbals. It adjusts easily and I have no problem mounting either of my bodies to the Sigma 150-500 and getting everything to balance properly and allow horizontal and vertical movement.

I'm happy with what I bought. I spent over my budgeted amount but not by much.

Next up, a monopod!

Regards,