Options

Mac question

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited December 16, 2013 in Digital Darkroom
I have a 2009 Mac Pro. I have a 240GIG SSD in bay one and use this as a boot drive. After installing Maverics I have had problem after problem.

I have been told by Apple and others not to clone the boot drive, but to do a fresh OX install and then ether do a fresh install of all apps or use "Migration Assistant".

I have installed a new PCI express card with a 240GIG SSD.

Reasoning:

1. This will be faster than my existing boot drive.
2. It has 2 ESATA ports the that are faster than the internal drives. Fast connect to external
drives for back and / or working disks.
3. This provides a totaly new OX install.
4. I can now use my existing 240 GIG SSD as a scratch dist and use it for a new event photos
for faster download, Maybe, and / or faster processing for large number of images. Once event
photos are processed I will move them over to my RAID 0 LR5 catalog.

Now............my question....does Migration Assistant COPY the apps, files and setting over to the new drive, or does it MOVE the apps, files and setting t the new boot drive??

I want to be able to keep the old boot drive as is until I am sure the new boot drive and apps are working well.

Thanks!!

Sam

Comments

• Options
    brianbbrianb Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2013
    Migration Assistant should not change anything on the source drive. Once you have a clean copy of the OS installed on the new drive, you can choose the old drive as the source for migration assistant. In my experience it gets about 98%. When the Mac boots up, you can always hold down option (I believe) and choose which drive you wish to boot from, so you can go back and forth until you're sure the new one is good, then you can reformat he old volume. Good luck!
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2013
    Yep, it just copies, don't worry.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2013
    Thanks all. I will use Migration Assistant later today!!

Sam