Options

Initial library Batch Upload - what solutions?

AdubobootAduboboot Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited December 18, 2013 in SmugMug Support
I'm new to SmugMug and am trying to find a way to get all my past libraries (1000+ albums) up to SmugMug without having to upload each album one by one.

I've looked into as many options as I could find:
...SmugMug website only alows one album at a time.
...MacDaddy through iPhoto doesn't work with the new version of SmugMug.
...The SmugMug plugin in iPhoto only does one album at a time.
...it seems Lightroom and Aperture only do it one ablum at a time (though I don't have them to check)

Here are three wonderful ways I could see this happen:
1) Directly through the Finder in my Mac --> Dropping entire folders in SmugMug Uploader, and Smugmug would retain the folder names.
2) A "syncronizing" between iPhoto and SmugMug --> would just need to arrange each album into categories afterwards.
3) A MacDaddy update --> with more filter options so one could sort the albums first

The ideal would be to be able to launch uploads overnight of dozens of albums at a time and have SmugMug retain the name of the album from ones' Finder (Explorer) such as used to be possible with MacDaddy before the version change.

Does anyone know a way to do this ? I could really use the help as I am daunted by fear of the necessity to have to do this one album at a time ! http://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider/knary.gif
I would be willing to buy Aperture or Lightroom if that option exists but don't want to if it doesn't.

Thanks

I use:
cameras: Canon 400d + iPhones and iPads
software: Digital Photo Professional for RAW, iPhoto for library
organizing: folders and subfolders in my Finder, classifying them by category as I do in SmugMug (for comparison sake).

Comments

• Options
    mrneutronmrneutron Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2013
    Check out the third party apps on this page.
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/84267
    There may be one there that will meet your needs.
    Andy K
    SmugMug Support Hero
    help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2013
    Thanks for the response. I've already been over that page many times and tried many of them, but there are few made for Mac and none that do what I'm asking (FULL LIBRARY UPLOAD FROM A MAC...going through iPhoto or Finder)

The only one that comes close is STAR EXPLORER, but that doesn't work on a Mac, and it doesn't work on with your new version of SmugMug either.

Honestly...why doesn't SmugMug develop this instead of pushing it off to third party users ? It seems to me to be such a basic need for anyone arriving on your site. Who has the time to do one album at a time uploads? That's ok if you catch up every week-end, but not if you have years of work to upload. Even simple old no-paying Picassa allows a "sych-up" option. How do most of the photographers coming in do their bulk uploads? I'm really curious ! =)

Also, what's with MACDADDY ? Isn't that a SmugMug developpment ? Can't it be improved and updated ?
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2013
    Still hoping for an answer about bulk uploading
    Don't mean to be impatient, but if I could get an answer from one of you SmugMug heros about the options I proposed that would be great...

earlier, I suggestion 3 possibilities for multiple-gallery uploading :
    1) Directly through the Finder in my Mac --> Dropping entire folders in SmugMug Uploader, and Smugmug would retain the folder names.
    2) A "syncronizing" between iPhoto and SmugMug (that goes both ways!) --> would just need to arrange each album into categories afterwards.
    3) A MacDaddy update --> with more filter options so one could sort the albums first

let me add another: 4) possibility of selection of multiple galleries in iPhoto/Smugmug PLUG

Again, help me understand...why is everyone so against bulk uploading? I can't believe there isn't one option out there. Are any of my propositions possibilities for future features?