Options

Cannot administer my site...

56Kruiser56Kruiser Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited December 17, 2013 in SmugMug Support
When I login to my site, it goes to a page titled "Choose a design...don't worry, you can change it later". I don't want to choose a design or change. I want to administer my site, load some photos, etc.

I have lots of customization, and do not have time to redo all of it.

What can I do to get out of this?

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2013
    See if clearing your Smugmug cookies helps, sometimes they can get corrupted. Also clear your cache.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2013
    It sounds like you've just migrated to the new SmugMug. Once the migration has finished you need to pick a design to continue (which is probably why you're seeing the Choose a design..." page). At this stage, picking a design won't affect what your visitor's see, you're in a private preview mode where only you can see the new design so you have time to tweak it and get it just right. Your visitors will continue to see your legacy design until you unveil the new design for everyone to see.

Once your at this stage, I'm not aware of a way to go back without going forward (choosing a design). Once you choose a design you will have the option to view your legacy design and you can continue to manage your site as you're used to until your ready to unveil the new design. (Again, no matter what design you choose here, your visitors will still see your legacy design so your design won't appear to change for your visitors.)

Some more information about migration and the private preview stage you're at can be found here: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1212681-making-the-move-from-legacy-to-new-smugmug

If I misunderstood what you're seeing, our Heroes are much better at assisting with site access/administration issues from the help desk, please email them at help@smugmug.com and they should be able to help sort it out for you.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2013
    CWSkopec wrote: »
    It sounds like you've just migrated to the new SmugMug. Once the migration has finished you need to pick a design to continue (which is probably why you're seeing the Choose a design..." page). At this stage, picking a design won't affect what your visitor's see, you're in a private preview mode where only you can see the new design so you have time to tweak it and get it just right. Your visitors will continue to see your legacy design until you unveil the new design for everyone to see.

Once your at this stage, I'm not aware of a way to go back without going forward (choosing a design). Once you choose a design you will have the option to view your legacy design and you can continue to manage your site as you're used to until your ready to unveil the new design. (Again, no matter what design you choose here, your visitors will still see your legacy design so your design won't appear to change for your visitors.)

Some more information about migration and the private preview stage you're at can be found here: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1212681-making-the-move-from-legacy-to-new-smugmug

If I misunderstood what you're seeing, our Heroes are much better at assisting with site access/administration issues from the help desk, please email them at help@smugmug.com and they should be able to help sort it out for you.

CWSkpoec...I suspect you are right. Now that you mention it. I think I tried to 'preview' it. My apparently incorrect assumption was that it would not actully start the migration.

But assuming what you told me above is accurate, I supposed I'll be OK to then go ahead and continue it. Based on what I've read, I"m not sure I'll be happy with all the changes...given all of the customization I havce, and having been told I cannot duplicate it.

I just don't have time to study it to decide if I can live with the changes. I'm thinking that once I do have the time to do all that exploration, I'll likely compare to the competition. What brought me to SmugMug was the capabilities which I took advantage of that no longer exist.

Thanks for the details. I'll go choose one and see how it goes. Hopefully it will be intuitive to figure out how to use it in legacy mode.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2013
    Just finished the Preview creation. I can go back to my original site...but the menus are broken. Do not work at all. When logged out, they work fine.

Sigh...
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2013
    56Kruiser wrote: »
    Just finished the Preview creation. I can go back to my original site...but the menus are broken. Do not work at all. When logged out, they work fine.

Sigh...

Do you mean the menus are broken while you are in Customize mode?
    Try this (not sure it will work): Go into Customize, do *something*, even just tweak a setting and then untweak it.
    Then Save and PUBLISH. (Not preview).
    Publish is private to you only.
    See if that does anything.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,252 moderator
    edited December 17, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Keep in mind that once you unveil publish is public and immediately available to your viewers.

But ChancyRat is right, you will need to use publish while you are in a migrated but not unveiled state.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Do you mean the menus are broken while you are in Customize mode?...

No. When I click on the linke to run in legacy mode, the menus across the top are inaccessable. For example, if you go to my site and click on Galleries, you will see a drop down list of items to choose. It will work for you. But when I"m logged in, and have selected use in legacy mode, I can hover over Gallery (or any other menu item works like this), and when I try to drop down to select an item, the menu list disappears. I am completely unable to navigate.

If I know the path, I can get to it. Or if I navigate to it in the preview, then change, I will be on the gallery. But no navigation possible from menus.
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2013
    56Kruiser wrote: »
    No. When I click on the linke to run in legacy mode, the menus across the top are inaccessable. For example, if you go to my site and click on Galleries, you will see a drop down list of items to choose. It will work for you. But when I"m logged in, and have selected use in legacy mode, I can hover over Gallery (or any other menu item works like this), and when I try to drop down to select an item, the menu list disappears. I am completely unable to navigate.

If I know the path, I can get to it. Or if I navigate to it in the preview, then change, I will be on the gallery. But no navigation possible from menus.

Did you try this:
    Please try this:
    Go into Customize, do *something*, even just tweak a setting and then untweak it.
    Then Save and PUBLISH. (Not preview).
    See if this fixes the probllem