Further Discussion of B&W Conversions including Greg Gormans

imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
edited December 18, 2005 in Finishing School
Thanks Andy for the information that is on Greg Gormans site. Also thanks for the information on Petteri's Pontifications All great stuff. I tried several this AM and I liked this one the best. Let me know what you think!

Original

48630533-L.jpg

Grayscale

48630535-L.jpg

48630529-L.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look. Have a great day.

Joe

Comments

• JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2005
    I like the conversion, but as for the image, I really want to see the eyes open.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2005
    JimM wrote:
    I like the conversion, but as for the image, I really want to see the eyes open.

So How Are These For Eyes

THe Original

48668002-L.jpg

And The Conversion

48668000-L.jpg

Thanks
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2005
    Let's see. ne_nau.gif I liked the first b&w conversion on the first photo (the Greg Gorman is too dark - at least on my screen), the open eyes in the second photo (the conversion is good too) but best of all the hair in the first. :D What looks best when you make a print?

Virginia

Email
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2005
    Part of Gorman's workflow is to use curves to control the density of the image. It looks like this is something that you should play with, as all of your conversions are too dense.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2005
    I'm thinking you B&W converted the first shot because the color didn't look too good. Really it's not hard to fix:

48689271-L.jpg

48689291-S.jpg48689299-S.jpg

The idea is to reduce extreme yellows and magentas. If you use the eyedropper tool, you can measure the original and see that it's just too hot, particulary too yellow.

With this picture, as with many many portraits, it's hard to beat the just taking the green channel for a B&W conversion:

48689310-L.jpg

Once you get this far, you can use simple curves or highlight/shadow to bring adjust to show the detail you want a little better:

48690842-L.jpg

48690848-M.jpg
    If not now, when?
    edited December 17, 2005
    Why would you ever B&W convert this?

48668002-S.jpg

It's great the way it is. But OK, OK, just as an exercise:

Again I just took the green channel. Well, actually that's a lie. I blended in the blue channel only in the lightest parts of the image in order to recover the hair. I used the blend-if blending option to accomplish this:

48693059-O.jpg

48693072-M.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    I've been diddling around with L*a*b color for a bit and used it a couple of times to make B&W:

1. Convert to LAB
    2. Make the A and B channel flat/horizontal. (For pure b&w the horizontal goes through the middle (0 or 50%))
    3. Play with the Lightness channel to add/reduce contrast.
    4. Sometimes I use Unsharp mask on the Lightness channel to increase local contrast (large radius, low amount)
    5. Sharpen final image.

48351502-M.jpg

Is there any advantage to use LAB over RGB or vice versa?
    -- Anton.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
    edited December 18, 2005

Is there any advantage to use LAB over RGB or vice versa?
    -- Anton.

That question is like the first move in a really complex chess game. If you can, get Dan Margulis' Professional Photoshop and read the chapter Friend and Foe in Black and White. In short, the technique you outlined works, but loses the color information too early. For example, in my conversion of the woman, I used the blue channel for the hair and the green channel for most of the rest. Often the red information is very bad for faces but good for skys. Photoshop converts to LAB without knowing about faces and skys. But you do.
    If not now, when?
    edited December 18, 2005
    More specifically.
    48351502-S.jpg

The conversion has resulted in a nice strong picture with deep blacks and pure whites, BUT technically it could be better. The policeman's shirt in the foreground has "plugged" (lost all shadow detail.) Look at the red and blue channels in RGB. I'll bet you can find some of that detail. Good B&W conversions exploit the detail in each channel. Blindly convert, either in LAB or just by converting to gray scale, and you lose the opportunity to do this.
    If not now, when?
    edited December 18, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    More specifically.
    48351502-S.jpg

The conversion has resulted in a nice strong picture with deep blacks and pure whites, BUT technically it could be better. The policeman's shirt in the foreground has "plugged" (lost all shadow detail.) Look at the red and blue channels in RGB. I'll bet you can find some of that detail. Good B&W conversions exploit the detail in each channel. Blindly convert, either in LAB or just by converting to gray scale, and you lose the opportunity to do this.

Actually, a lot of the details in the shirt were left, but got plugged when i increased the dynamic range. I just tried to do the RGB channel mixing, but i never got a nice contrasty picture - unless when i increase the dynamic range again. And that removed the details from the shirt again.
    Short of brightning/darkening of only selective parts of the picture (much more work in PS:D ), how would i go about that?

If i understand LAB correctly, is the L channel not the channel that contains all the detail, where A and B contain only the colors? The shirt is just blue-ish (no details here) and the L channel contains the shadow details.... So, removing the A and B channel should not matter much, should it?

in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
    edited December 18, 2005
    This is an extremely complex topic and we've hijacked this thread. I'll start a thread in the Digital Darkroom forum and ask the moderators to move the discussion of LAB and B&W conversion there. The color verson of the police wold be useful for that.
    If not now, when?
    edited December 18, 2005
    If not now, when?
    edited December 18, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    This is an extremely complex topic and we've hijacked this thread. I'll start a thread in the Digital Darkroom forum and ask the moderators to move the discussion of LAB and B&W conversion there. The color verson of the police wold be useful for that.

You're right let's move it to that new thread.
    For now, i reply here with the attachment of the color version.
    The color version (shot in RAW), has been resized and slightly sharpened.

in two billion years,
    all I can think is: