Options

OOYCZ #1 Still Life Finals/Points Thread

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited December 21, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
These are the final images. Only those who are entered into this thread are the only ones to give short critiques to all the images except your own. Once you have finished doing so, private message me your top 3 images that you like. Please be sure to list them as First: (number of image), Second: (number of image) and Third: (number of image).

To private message, click on my user name and go to my profile. You will see the private message link there.

I will post the results in 7 days or sooner if everyone participating gets their choices in.

IMG_1413.JPG

i-6pWq9qq-XL.jpg

C201312121016888StillLife-L.jpg

i-vCRrJ4F-L.jpg

Parrot%20Tulips%20for%20Still%20Life%20OOYCZ%201%20tweaked-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2013
    1. To me, the style of this image best fits the specific "Still Life for this challenge will look like the old master paintings of years ago" theme with the colors and vignetting, yet the framing seems too tight - for me the photo might have worked better if it had some dark space around the edges - I want to see the rest of the bow on top & a larger vignette around the entire set of objects. Great subject matter.

2. The composition of this shot is exquisite - it doesn’t look as though it’s a set up, more like you happened upon this side table with the objects on it that happened to have a lighted tree behind it, very natural & appealing. In an old masters painting, I doubt that the book would be resting on the very bottom of the frame, but it works well for this shot. I also don’t see the lighted bokeh being an old masters thing, but it really defines this shot; it makes it eye catching and dreamy, and makes me want to be there sitting in the chair next to that table. Beautiful and inviting.

3. The brownies look yummy and I really want to taste that frosting. I like the milk in the background, but the glass (or is it a pitcher?) confuses me & the lighting seems a bit harsh. The framing is really tight, so the shot looks more current than old style, although the background does have that old style almost texture look. Definitely my kind of snack.

5. Beautiful arrangement with unique flowers. The lighting seems a bit too good for an old masters style, yet I like that you can see the bit of the texture in the dark cloth and the entire shot is well lit with subtle shadows. I really like the large DOF so the entire arrangement is in focus - very nice. I’m not thrilled about the one stem going out of the shot, for me it might have worked better to have it portrait oriented rather than square to include the stem at the top (even if it needed some ps help to complete the end of the stem). Overall a very lovely shot.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2013
    #5 - I love the lighting and the crispness of this picture. The only thing I can find to criticize about it is that it appears to almost be floating. So maybe one tulip lying on the table would have tied it down a little bit. I considered whether the lighting was too bright and washed the colors out of the tulips (which I think have more color variations than I can see) but on farther review, I decided that it was quite good as it was.

#4 - A nutcracker ballet theme. Very appropriate for this time of year and I appreciate the large nutcracker in the background. I like the idea of the nutcracker dolls in the one toe shoe and the little ballet slippers are darling. I am not quite sure what is in the other larger slipper and I think the focus could be a little sharper and the background nutcracker could also be a bit sharper

#3 - Makes me hungry and I like the idea of the milk pitcher to go with the treats. I do keep wanting to sprinkle some silver sugar pearl dragees into the picture to give it a little more sparkle, but maybe that is just because the other photos are so Christmasy. I would have liked the photo better if it was a little bit more from above and not such a straight shot.

#2 - The Christmas tree ornaments are very interesting and colorful - not the usual things that you get now. The way they are arranged looks quite casual and not 'posed' (which is good). The lighting is nice, but I do find the background lights distracting. I think this photo could also use a plainer background with the books under the bowl darker and the shot a little more from above and not so much cut off at the edge of the book.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2013
    #1. I love the idea of this--collecting old photos and objects and arranging them. There are lots of interesting things to look at in this photo. However, the cut-off, dark edges bother me a bit and the light seems rather harsh coming in from the front. I wonder if it would be a more pleasing arrangement if I could see everything in its entirety and have the light softer, from the side.

#3. Wow, those look delicious! I'm drawn right into this photo, wanting to savor every bite. I wish the sides were not cut off, and the light softer, maybe from the side--there are some harsh shadows.

#4. I love your idea, and this is beautifully executed. The toy soldier in the background is just enough in focus for me to know what it is. I like where the focus falls, I like the soft, side lighting, the theme and composition--all wonderful!

#5. I'm really glad you went with this one...I love it! There is enough detail in the white flowers, and yet I can still see detail in the black fabric. The shape of the flowers is a pleasing oval, nice curves... and you've included just enough of the leaves around the edges. The lighting is perfect.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2013
    #1. I like the idea of the old photos & related items - this photo is definitely the best fit to the theme. Would have preferred a different composition of the items, do not like that the umbrella handle goes out of the image to the right, as finding my eyes follow it away from the main subjects in the centre. Softer lighting in the centre would help.

#2. Love the colours and random arrangement of the baubles, and sitting on the Christmas books adds to the theme. While like the bokeh background, do find the bright bokeh distracting. Also, while the baubles and Christmas books are old, the background gives a more modern look.

#4. Love the composition - of the mini Nutcraker dolls in the large ballet shoes with the tiny ballet shoes at the front and large Nutcracker doll behind. Well keeping to the old masters theme. Unfortunately, do find the large Nutcracker doll distracting. I can understand why you have out of focus, but maybe if more in focus would be less distracting. The use of the neutral grey background brings out the subject well, and lighting is nice and soft.

#5. Beautifully lit photo - brings up the texture of the flowers and leaves, and great being able to see into the flowers. Well sharp, and great DOF. Background too dark for me, can only just see the fabric and get the impression of the vase floating in the air. Maybe a browner background would be better, and feel this would also bring more into the old masters theme.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,945 moderator
    edited December 21, 2013
    It is interesting to see how people interpreted the challenge of creating a Still Life that evokes the paintings of the old masters. I think that each entry met this goal in one or more ways.

Looking at still life paintings from long ago, one often sees an interesting collection of objects. I like the way this entry shows objects carefully chosen and arranged around a theme. The neutral palette focuses my attention on the subjects themselves and the textures in this image, and the variety of textures is very nice! I wonder whether shooting from a lower POV or just leaving a bit more space in the foreground might improve this image? It might also be nice to see this lit from the side to cast some natural shadows. The vignetting hints at the style of the old masters and helps draw attention to the objects in the collection. Very nice!

This is one of my favorites for this challenge. I think that the careful attention to detail, execution and theme come together to make this an excellent still life. I like the POV of this image showcasing the colorful, unique ornaments. The background does compete somewhat with the foreground for my attention but I like the overall effect. The lighting is very nice, creating a nice depth and lovely reflections. The books help anchor the shot as well as lending some red to the bottom of the bowl and the ornament resting directly on the book. Lovely still life for the holidays!

I can almost taste this chocolate cake! I like your use of a dark background with the light colored base and white plate. The neutral setting really focuses my attention on the textures of the cake (brownies) and the frosting. I like the straight on POV, pulling me right into the shot. It would be interesting to see this lit from the side and pulled back a bit. I think the pitcher of milk is a nice touch! With this entry, it was the neutral setting and the way the light (and exposure) brought out the texture of the food that seemed a good fit with the style of the old masters.

This is a fascinating still life with its Nutcracker Ballet theme, the ballet slippers resting on lovely lace, and Nutcrackers themselves. It strikes me as an interesting, photographic interpretation of the style of the old masters. This entry communicates affection for ballet, revealing something about the artist/photographer. This and gorgeous soft lighting from the side evoke the style of the old masters to me. I see the shallow DOF as a modern interpretation to give less emphasis to the background and I love the contrast of size and lighting (or lack thereof) on the nutcracker in the background. Fun to see another entry tying into the holiday season!
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 21, 2013
    clap.gifWonderful work everyone! Here are the points for each entry. Thank you for participating and have a very Merry Christmas or whatever else you celebrate! Cheers!beer.gif

#1=5 points
    #2=7 points
    #3=0 points
    #4=9 points
    #5=9 points

out of a possible 12 points.