Options

Full Screen home page slideshow is here.

flyingwolfflyingwolf Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited January 20, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
Seems there is still no choice of transition other than fade or nothing.

There also seems to be no way to allow you to click through to the gallery for that image.

But nice job heroes, this is one we have been waiting on, now lets work on that shopping cart and self fulfillment.

Comments

• Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2013
    flyingwolf wrote: »
    Seems there is still no choice of transition other than fade or nothing.

There also seems to be no way to allow you to click through to the gallery for that image.

But nice job heroes, this is one we have been waiting on, now lets work on that shopping cart and self fulfillment.

I'm not seeing how to implement it.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited December 19, 2013
    I'm not seeing how to implement it.

There's more information here, in their blog.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2013
    I'm not seeing how to implement it.ne_nau.gif

Found it!clap.gif
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited December 20, 2013
    Wahoo! So happy right now. Works so well!
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    afxafx Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2013
    So how to I get a semi transparent background for the menu/logo blocks that sit over the slideshow?

Found it: The sidebar settings on the home page did not work.
    After setting it up globally it worked also on the home page menus.

thx
    afx
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2013
    For sidebars and stuff, in the customiser go to the Theme tab, open the settings for your theme, and go to the Advanced tab. There you'll find "alpha" sliders which control the transparency of sidebars and headers.

For other page elements you'll probably have to add CSS, what do you want transparency on?
  • Options
    afxafx Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    For sidebars and stuff, in the customiser go to the Theme tab, open the settings for your theme, and go to the Advanced tab. There you'll find "alpha" sliders which control the transparency of sidebars and headers.
    See above, I found it and edited my post. It only worked after I played with the site wide setting.
    For other page elements you'll probably have to add CSS, what do you want transparency on?
    The left menu bar/logo section.

cheers
    afx
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2013
    Dual slideshows.
    Try using both at once.

Cheers,
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    claudiusmaxclaudiusmax Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2013
    leftquark wrote: »
    Wahoo! So happy right now. Works so well!

Aaron, How did you get the sidebar where its at, I'm sure I missed something but its kinda stuck in the middle, Laughing.gif, thanks.
  • Options
    Sir_EagleSir_Eagle Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2013
    I like this feature. clap.gifclap
  • Options
    PetroviousPetrovious Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 22, 2013
    Content awareness
    Is there any way to make the new slideshow content aware?
    I find that vertical photo's are zoomed in to fill width but that then cuts off top and bottom, is there any way to adjust this?
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2013
    Petrovious wrote: »
    I find that vertical photo's are zoomed in to fill width but that then cuts off top and bottom, is there any way to adjust this?

I agree, It would be nice to have a choice of "fit" or "fill".

Cheers,
  • Options
    digitalduckdigitalduck Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2013
    SO guys im brand new here because i am debagting leaving Zenfolio but couldnt come SM becuase of the lack of full window slide show. Now thats it here, can i do anything to make it resize the pictures automatically? 75% of hte images are all distorted... or do I have to resize only the images i have in my background images folder?

Thank You.. this would be a deal braker for me..
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2013
    Nothing should be distorted, images should be scaled up proportionally in order to fill the window. Which web browser and version are you using?

What's the address of your site?
  • Options
    digitalduckdigitalduck Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2013
    For now its just the basic : http://charlesmphotography.smugmug.com/ If I switch over ill port my charlesmphoto domain over.. Im using Firefox on mac

UPDATE: Looks like i had a couple portrait shots in there that looked like thye could just be stretched landscape pics because i chose the whole folder rather just individual pics.. still dont see the signature on the corners so that isnt a bog sacrifice..
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2013
    For now its just the basic : http://charlesmphotography.smugmug.com/ If I switch over ill port my charlesmphoto domain over.. Im using Firefox on mac

UPDATE: Looks like i had a couple portrait shots in there that looked like thye could just be stretched landscape pics because i chose the whole folder rather just individual pics.. still dont see the signature on the corners so that isnt a bog sacrifice..

They look fine here. I also see your watermark if that's what your talking about.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2013
    I've switched over to the Turbo template and added the fullscreen slideshow and really liking the look. Is there anyway to add the social icons to the left sidebar ?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited December 23, 2013
    I've switched over to the Turbo template and added the fullscreen slideshow and really liking the look. Is there anyway to add the social icons to the left sidebar ?
    Have you tried selecting and editing the side bar and dragging the social icons to it?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2013
    Have you tried selecting and editing the side bar and dragging the social icons to it?

--- Denise

I had it set to "homepage" and not "entire site" so I can add it to the sidebar but can't place it where I would like. Be nice to add it right under the links if possible. Thanks Denise.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2013
    I had it set to "homepage" and not "entire site" so I can add it to the sidebar but can't place it where I would like. Be nice to add it right under the links if possible.
    Have you tried editing it on "entire site" to see if it works there?

Are you aware that sidebars don't resize until the screen is really small? I'd recommend taking a look on a laptop and a tablet sized screen. I find it interesting that there are sizes where the menu doesn't collapse but that it also doesn't show the full menu. Take a look with this tool - http://quirktools.com/screenfly/.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2013

Are you aware that sidebars don't resize until the screen is really small? I'd recommend taking a look on a laptop and a tablet sized screen. I find it interesting that there are sizes where the menu doesn't collapse but that it also doesn't show the full menu. Take a look with this tool - http://quirktools.com/screenfly/.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise, I tried entire site and it will let me place the icons in between the logo and links or vertically beside the links and way down at the bottom with a huge gap. Its not something that I really gotta have but thought it would look neater.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2013
    Thanks Denise, I tried entire site and it will let me place the icons in between the logo and links or vertically beside the links and way down at the bottom with a huge gap. Its not something that I really gotta have but thought it would look neater.
    You should be able to reduce the gap by changing the margins of each element on the sidebar. Click the dimensions icon (it looks like a triangle) for each element and change the margins.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2013

--- Denise
    You should be able to reduce the gap by changing the margins of each element on the sidebar. Click the dimensions icon (it looks like a triangle) for each element and change the margins.

--- Denise

Thank you Denise, I will play around with it some and see what I can come with.
  • Options
    Sir_EagleSir_Eagle Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2013
    Petrovious wrote: »
    I agree, It would be nice to have a choice of "fit" or "fill".

Cheers,
    SO guys im brand new here because i am debagting leaving Zenfolio but couldnt come SM becuase of the lack of full window slide show. Now thats it here, can i do anything to make it resize the pictures automatically? 75% of hte images are all distorted... or do I have to resize only the images i have in my background images folder?

Thank You.. this would be a deal braker for me..
    Lamah wrote: »
    Nothing should be distorted, images should be scaled up proportionally in order to fill the window. Which web browser and version are you using?

What's the address of your site?

Anyone know if this is being worked on? All the pics in my slideshow appear to be zoomed in, not distorted though. Is this because of the size of the pic, should we use smaller pics for the slideshow?
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2013
    Sir_Eagle wrote: »
    Anyone know if this is being worked on? All the pics in my slideshow appear to be zoomed in, not distorted though. Is this because of the size of the pic, should we use smaller pics for the slideshow?

The full screen background slideshow doesn't work as a replacement for other slideshows on the site. You need to choose images that work well as background photos on your site. That means the proportions need to fit computer monitors, colors need to work with your content, and important parts of the image won't get covered by other content. Vertically oriented images aren't going to work well and many horizontal images will get badly cropped depending on the aspect ratio of the monitor. Pick background photos carefully and test them out on a couple monitors (I use an older 19 inch monitor and a newer wide screen laptop). I recommend creating a gallery of background images instead of just letting the site pick random images to use.

Also in a couple cases I flipped images horizontally so the important parts weren't covered by a sidebar. The background slideshow isn't like other slideshows... it has s drastic impact on the look of your site. Put a bit of thought into how each image works. And don't use a full screen slideshow just to show images. It's for rotating your background photo.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2013
    pilotdave wrote: »
    The full screen background slideshow doesn't work as a replacement for other slideshows on the site. You need to choose images that work well as background photos on your site. That means the proportions need to fit computer monitors, colors need to work with your content, and important parts of the image won't get covered by other content. Vertically oriented images aren't going to work well and many horizontal images will get badly cropped depending on the aspect ratio of the monitor. Pick background photos carefully and test them out on a couple monitors (I use an older 19 inch monitor and a newer wide screen laptop). I recommend creating a gallery of background images instead of just letting the site pick random images to use.

Also in a couple cases I flipped images horizontally so the important parts weren't covered by a sidebar. The background slideshow isn't like other slideshows... it has s drastic impact on the look of your site. Put a bit of thought into how each image works. And don't use a full screen slideshow just to show images. It's for rotating your background photo.

Dave

Dave makes some good points. I use a separate background picture gallery and size and order the pictures for my home page. I use "fake" solid color pictures to thin out the slideshow.
    I created pictures with content around the edges and use the full screen slideshow like a flashing marque behind the regular slideshow. There is no end to how you can use this effect.

Happy Holidays!
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2013

--- Denise

Finally got it Denise, thank you.clap.gif
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited December 29, 2013
    Aaron, How did you get the sidebar where its at, I'm sure I missed something but its kinda stuck in the middle, Laughing.gif, thanks.

Do you still need to figure out how to do this? I used some CSS to move the div for the left navbar to where I wanted it.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    bwendelljbwendellj Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2013
    So what are the suggested or preferred dimensions for the background slideshow? All of the images from the gallery I selected are "oversized" to the screen. If I need to create a separate gallery, then what are the recommended or preferred image sizes for the background slide show. Appears to be another poorly thought out "released" feature that simply does not work as demonstrated or at least the appropriate settings for the feature to work properly for every user were not communicated.

Wendell
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2013
    There is no preferred dimension. Your images will be scaled until they completely fill the screen, so upload images that are a similar shape to the screen that you expect your customers to be using.