Nikon 300mm F 2.8 VR2 vs it's predecessor

amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
edited December 24, 2013 in Accessories
Hi, anyone who has any input on the Nikon 300mm F2.8 VR2 versus it's predecessor, I'd appreciate it.

I'm not rich but buying the VR2 is doable, but it looks like I can get the predecessor for about $3000 less or even more given the sales tax savings.

Thanks in advance.

SC

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2013
    I own the VRI and love that lens. Sharp wide open and incredibly fast AF. I almost never use the VR function since I use it primarily for sports and birding. The rare times I have used VR, it has been great. I would not hesitate to buy a good copy of this lens over the VRII version and pocket the dollars.

Aren't you going to use this for motor sports? If so, no VR necessary.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2013
    Do yourself a favor and look at the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 also. If you can find the next-newest version, you'll save some money over the newest that has the exact same optics, but just incorporates the dock. I sold my Nikon 300 f/2.8 after shooting with the Sigma. I love it.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2013
    Icebear wrote: »
    Do yourself a favor and look at the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 also. If you can find the next-newest version, you'll save some money over the newest that has the exact same optics, but just incorporates the dock. I sold my Nikon 300 f/2.8 after shooting with the Sigma. I love it.

appreciate the input. I have the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 already. I'm convinced that the images I seek will come from a 300 mm prime. I shoot dirt bikes and the ability to zoom in and out is extremely handy given the constant change in proximity of my subject but I'm convinced that my holy grail is the 300mm prime. I seek the grail!
    edited December 22, 2013
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I own the VRI and love that lens. Sharp wide open and incredibly fast AF. I almost never use the VR function since I use it primarily for sports and birding. The rare times I have used VR, it has been great. I would not hesitate to buy a good copy of this lens over the VRII version and pocket the dollars.

Aren't you going to use this for motor sports? If so, no VR necessary.

as both the VR2 and it's predecessor have VR, do you know what the main improvements were when they released the VR2?
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2013
    amadeus wrote: »
    as both the VR2 and it's predecessor have VR, do you know what the main improvements were when they released the VR2?

Yes, the vrII is better. My point is that you will never use the vr when shooting motor sports. Save your money and buy a well cared for vrI version. They are optically the same.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 23, 2013
    Mitchell wrote: »
    My point is that you will never use the vr when shooting motor sports.
    You might if you're doing slow shutter blurred background pans using VR Active mode (or Canon IS mode 2).
    edited December 24, 2013
    kdog wrote: »
    You might if you're doing slow shutter blurred background pans using VR Active mode (or Canon IS mode 2).

who shoots MX like that?

10944573-Ti.gif

_DSC7213_2-X2.jpg

_DSC7217_2-X2.jpg
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited December 24, 2013
    Keep practicing, you'll get it. lol3.gif