Quickly viewing files on a Mac

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited December 24, 2013 in Digital Darkroom
I have recently converted from Windows to Mac and am mostly happy.

What I miss is being able to insert a memory card and quickly scan through all the files, full screen on my computer.

I could use the Windows previewer, expand to full size and then toggle through all the files.

I can do this two ways on a Mac (that I know) using overflow, but the image is small or using view in Finder, but again the file is small.

Anybody have an idea or a third party solution?
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,908 moderator
    edited December 20, 2013
    Have you tried Picasa? Don't know about the Mac implementation, but the Windows one is very fast and handles most raw formats well. It's also free, so not much to lose by trying.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2013
    I use LR5, but don't use full frame for initial viewing or culling. I will however use full screen slide show for viewing a finished viewing set.

You can in Library mode change the view and see images full screen and arrow key through them.

You do need to import them into LR% first, but for me importing images into LR5 is the first step for all images.

Sam
  • jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2013
    Photo Mechanic? About as fast as it gets...
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 20, 2013
    I am with Sam, and use Lightroom 4/5.

You can examine each image individually, full size in Lightroom, before you import the files on your Mac. You must open the import dialogue, and when the files comes up in thumbnail view, double click on a thumbnail of the files you wish to see, and then you can see that file full size. Not necessarily full screen; it depends on the size of the native image file, but RAW files will fill the import viewing area on my 30 inch LCD, George. You can then decide if you want to import the file, or not import the file.

If you just want to look at a Raw file on a memory card, you can right click the file, and then use the Quick Look command on the dialogue box that opened with your right click.

It is not real fast though on my 2008 Power Mac, but I suspect is faster on more modern machines with real supported USB 3.0 card readers - I think my limitation is the card reader speed on my machine. I have been waiting on the new Power Macs for over two years. Now i see they will begin shipping in February. Ah well!

Another way to see the Raw files is to examine them in Bridge if you have Photoshop on your machine that supports your RAW files. Or you could use Digital Photo Pro if you shoot Canon. I am sure there is a similar program that comes with Nikon cameras for Raw file viewing as well

Merry Christmas, George!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2013
    On the Mac, learn to take advantage of Quick Look.

Simply open a Finder window for your memory card, then click on the first image. Click on the "Quick Look" icon in the Finder menu bar, OR just press Cmd + Y (Apple + Y). This will bring up a preview window of your file. You can size the window however you like, including launching it into full screen size, using the double headed arrow thingy on the top-right. To select the next file, simply press the down arrow. This navigation works much more logically if your finder window is in list mode (the second button in the view selection list in the Finder menu bar)

i-x2TK2S9-L.jpg
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2013
    Thanks Jim and Sam. I have the adobe subscription service and the new MacBook Pro, so software isn't the issue, I just used to like using windows preview first before starting any importing process.

I guess I have never gotten that proficient in LR and preferring PS to use as my go to program.

In windows I would preview and then right click directly into PS. I can't do the same in a Mac environment.

Lots of my photos are stuff like game cam shots that don't need Lightroom, just previewing.
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
    edited December 21, 2013
    CMason: That would be perfect! Doesn't seem to exist on my machine (Mavricks?) Any way to add it?

i-6gqXJf8-L.png
    edited December 21, 2013
    CMason, you are a savior! Command Y works and this is exactly what I wanted.

Funny it will not let me go full screen, but I can stretch the window as large as I want effectively giving me full screen.

Perfect!

Thanks so much!
    edited December 21, 2013
    Its in Mavericks, the icon just isnt on by default.

First, try CMD+Y ;)

To get the icon on the Finder Menu bar, open a Finder window, then right click anywhere in the gray area. Select "Customize Toolbar", then drag the icon called 'Quick Look' onto your Finder Menu bar.

You can get full screen by clicking that double-headed arrow thing in the top right of the Quick Look window
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2013
    Jim,

Your going to get one of the new Mac Pro's? Color me jealous!

At first i wasn't very impressed with the new trash can, but I am warming up to them.

I do suggest you read up a little on the performance. Basically it seems that the 12 core
    can actually be slower than the 6 core for some applications. Only when the CPU is really pressed will the 12 core take over and fly.

Sam
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2013
    I do the same thing in finder by just pressing the space bar.
    I guess there's 3 way to get there.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited December 21, 2013
    Space bar also works. What is interesting is that I can go forwards, but not backwards. Backwards arrow or down arrow goes one level back to the master folder. Multiple back gets me to the finder master folder.
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2013
    Zanotti wrote: »
    Space bar also works. What is interesting is that I can go forwards, but not backwards. Backwards arrow or down arrow goes one level back to the master folder. Multiple back gets me to the finder master folder.

Hmmm.
    I can go backwards or forwards using the up and down arrow keys.
    I try to stay away from the sideways arrow keys.
    That sends me to a different folder than the one I want to be in.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited December 21, 2013
    Quickly viewing files on a Mac
    Yep, navigation is weird...that's why I suggested using the list view. Icon view is indecipherable.
  • brancaleonebrancaleone Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2013
    I have recently converted from Windows to Mac and am mostly happy.

What I miss is being able to insert a memory card and quickly scan through all the files, full screen on my computer.

I could use the Windows previewer, expand to full size and then toggle through all the files.

I can do this two ways on a Mac (that I know) using overflow, but the image is small or using view in Finder, but again the file is small.

Anybody have an idea or a third party solution?

Why not using iPhoto? you can view all the images, chose the thumbnail size you like, import the files (if you want) and more. rolleyes1.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
    edited December 22, 2013
    Right click on the menu bar and choose "Customize Toolbar". Drag the features you want to the tool bar.

Hope that helps.
    CMason: That would be perfect! Doesn't seem to exist on my machine (Mavricks?) Any way to add it?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited December 22, 2013
    Perfect! Thanks to all for the help - it has changed how I operate the MAc.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 22, 2013
    Sam wrote: »
    Jim,

Your going to get one of the new Mac Pro's? Color me jealous!

At first i wasn't very impressed with the new trash can, but I am warming up to them.

I do suggest you read up a little on the performance. Basically it seems that the 12 core
    can actually be slower than the 6 core for some applications. Only when the CPU is really pressed will the 12 core take over and fly.

Sam

Yes, I have read those reviews Sam. I will probably stick with a 4 or 6 core device for the speed with 16 or 32 GB RAM. The alternative was to look at an iMac, but I really like all the ports on the Mac Pro, and the price difference between the black can and a fully tricked out iMac is not that large, and I am perfectly happy with my old, but still serviceable 30 inch Cinema Display. I can also run two large displays with the black can.

George, glad everyone could help you learn to use you Mac effectively. You will learn to love it, I predict.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2013
    I've learned some things about my iMac from this thread, so I also appreciate the help. However, I find this method very slow compared to Nikon View NX2, which is a free download. It should work for any jpeg files, but only opens Nikon RAW files. It is quite quick once it starts, and incorporates the Nikon Picture Controls for .NEF files.