Options

have you moved camera gear internationally?

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited December 24, 2013 in Cameras
I have a pelican case 1600 with a photo insert, and I was using it to store all my camera gear. However, my collection has outgrown the case, and I have a bunch of legacy glass that I've decided needs to be stored in the light, so I've got it all in clear boxes with absorbent gel.

I've recently moved, and just don't have room for the case. However, I am looking forward to potentially a move across the pond next year. We may or may not decide to hire a shipping crate and move furniture and a car. The pelican case could probably hold all of my digital gear, minus tripods and heads, now that I have gotten rid of my APS-C cameras and lenses (keeping the 5D and m43 gear), but not the legacy glass and cameras, and I'm trying to decide if I should keep it or not. I had it out at a garage sale, but I wasnt' expecting the average garage-sale shopper to be interested in it at a reasonable price.

For those of you who have moved internationally, how did you move your gear?
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2013
    Check out air-freight forwarding companies. I admit I did this in reverse - ie coming to the US - but we sent our desktop PC to the US with a UK company and they did an AMAZING job. IIRC, it's more challenging going from the US to Europe (it seems to be harder to find companies here in the US who provide this service), but I'm sure there must be somebody out there! Check around for sure.

The other thing: why not call and ask some of the bigger vendors how they ship overseas? It would at least give you a starting point.