Options

Return to Elkhorn Slough - Moss Landing CA

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited January 3, 2014 in Wildlife
Supposed to be one of the best birding spots in Norther CA and this is supposed to be best time of the year, but I didn't see all the variety I was hoping for. Kayaking most of them! Below are my attempts:

1)

1312_elkhorn_slough_0054-11-X2.jpg

2)

1312_cheleston_slough_0053-81-X2.jpg
3)

1312_elkhorn_slough_0054-33-X2.jpg

4)

1312_elkhorn_slough_0054-2-X2.jpg

5)

1312_elkhorn_slough_0054-3-X2.jpg

6)

1312_elkhorn_slough_0054-4-X2.jpg

7)

1312_elkhorn_slough_0054-44-X2.jpg

8)

1312_elkhorn_slough_0054-9-X2.jpg

9)

1312_elkhorn_slough_0054-74-X2.jpg

10)

1312_elkhorn_slough_0054-47-X2.jpg

11)

1312_elkhorn_slough_0054-49-X2.jpg

12)

1312_cheleston_slough_0053-118-X2.jpg

13)

1312_cheleston_slough_0053-50-X2.jpg

14)

1312_cheleston_slough_0053-65-X2.jpg

15)

1312_charleston_slough_0052-11-X2.jpg

16)

1312_cheleston_slough_0053-128-X2.jpg

17)

1312_charleston_slough_0052-49-X2.jpg

18)

1312_cheleston_slough_0053-134-X2.jpg

19)

1312_charleston_slough_0051-109-X2.jpg

20)

1312_charleston_slough_0052-72-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2013
    Wow some really great ones. #1, the otter is really great!!! Thanks for sharing
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2013
    endurodog wrote: »
    Wow some really great ones. #1, the otter is really great!!! Thanks for sharing

Thanks dog! Always wanted to get an otter shot. There were two of them playing with each other but water was choppy so every time I let go of the paddle, kayak turned me away from them, but hope to capture more playful behavior in future. Cheers!
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2013
    Successful kayak trip for sure
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    OsoOso Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2013
    That was certainly a productive outing! Hey wait...aren't you the dgrinner telling me to get the camera closer to the water while kayaking?

Okay, now I see why.

All the photos are great. If I had to pick just one as my favorite I'd say 1, 2, 7 and 12 -- with #2 being the most unique. Well done!
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2013
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    Successful kayak trip for sure

Thanks Chris! Knowledge you dropped helped!!
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2013
    Oso wrote: »
    That was certainly a productive outing! Hey wait...aren't you the dgrinner telling me to get the camera closer to the water while kayaking?

Okay, now I see why.

All the photos are great. If I had to pick just one as my favorite I'd say 1, 2, 7 and 12 -- with #2 being the most unique. Well done!

Thanks Steve! Generous as always!

I did SHUDDER at the thought of Kayak flipping over in choppy waters or me chasing a shot and turning and either dropping my gear or falling out. There is no insurance for that event. But no other way to get close. Get the widest and most stable kayak, and try it out before venturing deep! Cheers!

Taz
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2013
    Good stuff Taz thumb.gif
    Especially like the Egret shots...

Gotta give props to you photogs that actually "get dirty" chasing the shots!
    Here's to staying dry in the New Year!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2013
    ...aren't you the dgrinner telling me to get the camera closer to the water while kayaking?

Okay, now I see why.

Whilst 'getting down low / subject's eye level' is an oft mentioned approach - on the occasion you're referring to, I think it was me :)

I was suggesting much lower than these, tho ... probably about an inch of daylight / clearance between the lens hood and water surface (depending on conditions, of course)

The differences (imo) are quite noticeable the lower you get ... with subjects such as waterfowl.

If I was using a canoe / kayak I think I'd be tempted to experiment with some sort of (easily removeable?) stabiliser / outrigger system to not only provide a lower shooting platform, but also provide better stability / safety.
    Earache wrote: »
    ...photogs that actually "get dirty" chasing the shots!

Common occurrence for many wildlife 'togs, methinks :)

pp
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    Good stuff Taz thumb.gif
    Especially like the Egret shots...

Gotta give props to you photogs that actually "get dirty" chasing the shots!
    Here's to staying dry in the New Year!

Thanks Eric!! I wouldn't mind getting in neck deep around the shore, but even slightest crack of the twig and birds take off. Need to try some camouflage suit.
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2013
    Very, very nice. Jealous.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2013
    Great looking series!!
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    grimace wrote: »
    Great looking series!!

Thanks!
  • Options
    OsoOso Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2014
    PuzzledPaul -- a-ha! That piece of advice about getting closer to the water has stuck with me. Just need an outing to give it a try. I'm tempted to put the D5100 on a monopod and hold it out over the water and use the remote to release the shutter. One issue is that the 5100 is not weather proof as much as other Nikon models.

Might work as long as I don't slip. The 5100 has the swivel screen, which helps -- the challenge (I think) would be getting the focus right. I completely agree the low vantage point could be really cool -- I've had good luck at the beach holding the camera right over the surf, either handheld or on tripod.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014
    PuzzledPaul -- a-ha! That piece of advice about getting closer to the water has stuck with me. Just need an outing to give it a try. ...

Don't want to hijack the thread, but it's relevant here.

Obviously not 'my' advice ... but I rabbit on about it in circumstances / situations where - imo - it really makes a difference ... on all sorts of levels (sorry :) )

Image search on any waterfowl and you'll be bombarded with masses of pics that've been taken from a high vantage point - I often see bods standing behind a cam on tripod on a lake / river bank ... putting cam 2m (or more) above water level etc ... I feel like suggesting 'at least try it on the bank / lower and see what you get' ... but being a shy, retiring Brit I just pedal past on my bike and let 'em get on with it :)

Taking such pics from a low level almost immediately makes them different / stand out from the rest.
    It doesn't of course make a rubbish pic good :)

Higher pov obviously gives a 'looking down on subject' feel which can lead to a sort of 'power play' scenario ... how many times do you read about people wanting to intimidate others by being higher than others ... something the military are well aware of too, of course :)
    Being at the subject's eye level also tends to increase the feeling of being part of their scene / life / activity etc ... rather than being an outsider looking in

Low pov decreases the height / thickness of the part of the image associated with the bg behind the subject to the horizon, thus maximising the more distant (and hopefully appropriate / photogenic) bg such as vegetation /sky whatever.

Having a really oof bg can also help the separation of subject activity ... such as when they;re flapping wings and water's flying around / diving / fighting / mating etc... in a backlit scenario a low pov makes stuff like airborne water stand out even more.

Shooting (waterfowl) bifs from a low level has the potential to place the water surface in frame in a somewhat different way from higher level povs ... almost providing some sort of 'anchor' ... obviously, landing / take off situations with water dropping off the bird ...or spray behind the subject can be even better, against an oof bg.

etc

Re hanging gear over the side on a 'pod ... no personal experience, but got to be worth a try imo ... if you're considering using a remote, then that implies pre-setting the cam and just 'pressing the button' ... ie no further messing with the cam once it's held / dangled over the side.

Have you considered wrapping a clear plastic bag (eg freezer bag) around the whole rig and gaffer taping it around the 'pod joint and the lens hood?

One stage further would be to seal the joint between the glass of a filter and therefore waterproof that bit ... and tape the bag around the filter ring ... in the days when I used a 400 / 5.6 I placed the whole rig inside an old fish tank and immersed it in the water.

All depends on what you're after / satisfied with etc ... and whether you think it's worth the effort / inconvenience ... imo many don't.

Finally,many will say ... 'well if everyone did this, all the pic'd look the same again' ... well, in the same way that all the pics taken from a high pov don't look the same, so's this'd be the case here.

Apart from the fact that imo this'd never happen because some ppl don't want to get themselves or gear messy ... it's still down to what the 'tog wants / prefers ... and I know which approach I prefer ... other's mmv.

/end rant :)

pp

Edit
    A thought re 'outriggers / stabilisers' ... something based on folding / telescopic alu or (better?) carbon fibre tubing / arms with floats made from something like a 3L wine box bladder ... light, easily stored and activated when needed ... and easily available ... yes, I realise that emptying such would be a tough gig... but someone's got to do it :)
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014
    Don't want to hijack the thread, but it's relevant here.

Obviously not 'my' advice ... but I rabbit on about it in circumstances / situations where - imo - it really makes a difference ... on all sorts of levels (sorry :) )

Image search on any waterfowl and you'll be bombarded with masses of pics that've been taken from a high vantage point - I often see bods standing behind a cam on tripod on a lake / river bank ... putting cam 2m (or more) above water level etc ... I feel like suggesting 'at least try it on the bank / lower and see what you get' ... but being a shy, retiring Brit I just pedal past on my bike and let 'em get on with it :)

Taking such pics from a low level almost immediately makes them different / stand out from the rest.
    It doesn't of course make a rubbish pic good :)

Higher pov obviously gives a 'looking down on subject' feel which can lead to a sort of 'power play' scenario ... how many times do you read about people wanting to intimidate others by being higher than others ... something the military are well aware of too, of course :)
    Being at the subject's eye level also tends to increase the feeling of being part of their scene / life / activity etc ... rather than being an outsider looking in

Low pov decreases the height / thickness of the part of the image associated with the bg behind the subject to the horizon, thus maximising the more distant (and hopefully appropriate / photogenic) bg such as vegetation /sky whatever.

Having a really oof bg can also help the separation of subject activity ... such as when they;re flapping wings and water's flying around / diving / fighting / mating etc... in a backlit scenario a low pov makes stuff like airborne water stand out even more.

Shooting (waterfowl) bifs from a low level has the potential to place the water surface in frame in a somewhat different way from higher level povs ... almost providing some sort of 'anchor' ... obviously, landing / take off situations with water dropping off the bird ...or spray behind the subject can be even better, against an oof bg.

etc

Re hanging gear over the side on a 'pod ... no personal experience, but got to be worth a try imo ... if you're considering using a remote, then that implies pre-setting the cam and just 'pressing the button' ... ie no further messing with the cam once it's held / dangled over the side.

Have you considered wrapping a clear plastic bag (eg freezer bag) around the whole rig and gaffer taping it around the 'pod joint and the lens hood?

One stage further would be to seal the joint between the glass of a filter and therefore waterproof that bit ... and tape the bag around the filter ring ... in the days when I used a 400 / 5.6 I placed the whole rig inside an old fish tank and immersed it in the water.

All depends on what you're after / satisfied with etc ... and whether you think it's worth the effort / inconvenience ... imo many don't.

Finally,many will say ... 'well if everyone did this, all the pic'd look the same again' ... well, in the same way that all the pics taken from a high pov don't look the same, so's this'd be the case here.

Apart from the fact that imo this'd never happen because some ppl don't want to get themselves or gear messy ... it's still down to what the 'tog wants / prefers ... and I know which approach I prefer ... other's mmv.

/end rant :)

pp

Edit
    A thought re 'outriggers / stabilisers' ... something based on folding / telescopic alu or (better?) carbon fibre tubing / arms with floats made from something like a 3L wine box bladder ... light, easily stored and activated when needed ... and easily available ... yes, I realise that emptying such would be a tough gig... but someone's got to do it :)

Good advice Paul! Finding different view points is always good. When on shore, I hunker down and try to make myself as less threatening as possible and after a bit birds seem to ignore me, while maintaining safe distance and that has been enjoyable for me. Only recently I got lucky and standing on observation deck, got some birds and otters to pop up (Charleston Slough thread). Even though it is from higher view point, it shows a different side and adds its own value.

To summarize - moving around works. Getting away from the crowd does too.

Most people prefer comfort and are satisfied with what they got. I kind of admire them. They have higher chance of being happy. However, to get something different, as you suggest, one has to think out of the box.

Cheers and Happy New Year!
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014
    Good point re 'hunkering down' ... in my case this comes 'for free' as I'm kneeling behind the cam, using an angle finder. Some of the locations at my local venue have banks / slightly higher ground behind the water / ground interface ... which also helps to obscure my bulk.

pp