Options

Juvenile Red-Tailed Hawk & Ring Necked Pheasant

mstrozewskimstrozewski Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited December 27, 2013 in Wildlife
Today I took a drive to Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area. I was hoping to photograph the Barn Owl that's been seen, but no luck on that end. Instead I got lucky and photographed a Ring Necked Pheasant and a Red-Tailed Hawk. All in all I'd say today wasn't too bad.

IMG_0623-L.jpg

IMG_0585-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2013
    Pheasant is gorgeous! Incredible clarity, vibrance, setting! Can I know what zoom it was taken at and what lens you have?

Even if there were Pheasants in Bay Area, they wouldn't hang around to pose. Wild life is not as relaxed. If you try and record ducks in flight, they see the long zoom lens pointed at them, panic and change their flight because they expect to be shot or something.

Other one is nice too. Great they pose for you!
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2013
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Pheasant is gorgeous! Incredible clarity, vibrance, setting! Can I know what zoom it was taken at and what lens you have?

Even if there were Pheasants in Bay Area, they wouldn't hang around to pose. Wild life is not as relaxed. If you try and record ducks in flight, they see the long zoom lens pointed at them, panic and change their flight because they expect to be shot or something.

Other one is nice too. Great they pose for you!

Tamron 200-500 @277mm on the pheasant - it was foraging for food right off the dirt road with it's mate. It wasn't as bothered by my car as they usually are. That's the only reason I was able to photograph it. The female took off as soon as I stopped.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2013
    And what are you referring to bay area?

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2013
    Tamron 200-500 @277mm on the pheasant - it was foraging for food right off the dirt road with it's mate. It wasn't as bothered by my car as they usually are. That's the only reason I was able to photograph it. The female took off as soon as I stopped.

Bay Area is greater San Francisco area. It is nice you saw them and had time to pull over and get the shot! Males are usually more colorful anyway. I noted the same thing that animals view humans as predators but are bit more tolerant of cars and kayaks.

Great shots!
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2013
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Bay Area is greater San Francisco area. It is nice you saw them and had time to pull over and get the shot! Males are usually more colorful anyway. I noted the same thing that animals view humans as predators but are bit more tolerant of cars and kayaks.

Great shots!

I've never been to the bay area... I thought that area was all urbanized? Although I've only been to ocean side, Ca

• Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2013
    Very nice pheasant shot they are a tough target most of the time you get butt shots as they are flying away or diving into the grass
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2013
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    Very nice pheasant shot they are a tough target most of the time you get butt shots as they are flying away or diving into the grass

That is true! This is the best image I've ever gotten of one!