Options

Best way to center text block on Page?

ajavaajava Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
edited December 26, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
If you look at this page on my site: http://ajava.smugmug.com/Venues
...you'll see that the text block is not centered on the page. That bugs me.

I found out that the best solution would be to use an HTML block, instead of a Text block.

Does anybody know what that kind of list structure is called in HTML, so that I can look it up and code it to look that way? I tried using a table, but the results were not what I expected. And the coding was very tedious.

Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2013
    ajava wrote: »
    If you look at this page on my site: http://ajava.smugmug.com/Venues
    ...you'll see that the text block is not centered on the page. That bugs me.

I found out that the best solution would be to use an HTML block, instead of a Text block.

Does anybody know what that kind of list structure is called in HTML, so that I can look it up and code it to look that way? I tried using a table, but the results were not what I expected. And the coding was very tedious.

Is there a better way to accomplish this?
    This should center that block. It's that widget specific so can be put in any level CSS block but I'd
    recommend putting it in a page specific CSS block.
    .sm-page-widget-4178771
    .sm-page-widget-body {
       width:560px ;
       margin:0 auto !important;
    }

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited December 26, 2013
    Andrea -
    I just took a look at your site - your work (and your site) is beautiful.

Just a heads up... I noticed that you have Originals enabled on your galleries. That means that anyone who wants to can download your images for free. I don't know if that's what you intended - if it's not you should choose anything other than Original as the largest display image size. (The Originals will always be used for printing.)

You might be interested in the first post of the thread ORIGINALS = a gateway to free photos, & right click protection is NOT PROTECTION.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2013
    Denise - thank you so much for your kind words. I will look into your suggestions because NO, I do not want to allow downloads of originals. Thank you!!
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    This should center that block. It's that widget specific so can be put in any level CSS block but I'd
    recommend putting it in a page specific CSS block.
    .sm-page-widget-4178771
    .sm-page-widget-body {
       width:560px ;
       margin:0 auto !important;
    }

Where should I put that code, exactly? Do you mean I keep the text block as-is, and that code somehow centers things? Thanks!!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2013
    ajava wrote: »
    Where should I put that code, exactly? Do you mean I keep the text block as-is, and that code somehow centers things? Thanks!!
    Make the page "Just this ..." and add a CSS block on it.
    Or highlight "entire site" and add it to that CSS block.

Nothing changes in your text block.

Might want to add a comment to the CSS so you know where it's used.
    /* Venues page */
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2013
    It it turns out that you want the text centered but still left-justified, I think you can achieve that by setting the margins of the content block. The triangle on the upper left corner of the block to set them.

I tried the code offered above and it centered all the lines of text. You would not need this code in the CSS if all you need to do is set the margins of the content block