DEAL: Rebate on Epson P-2000 Photoviewer

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited December 20, 2005 in Flea Market
Remember how hot the Epson portable storage unit was? Remember how hard it was to get one?

Times have changed, apparently. Adorama says there's a $50 rebate on the thing, bringing the price down to $400.

Link.

IESP2000.JPG
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    You could alternately get a new iPod with the camera connector and a USB2 CF reader (assuming you use CF cards for your camera) and use the iPod as your storage device. :D

That's my plan anyhow.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    I have the P2000 and it is fantastic. I highly recommend it. I started with the Nikon version, and exchanged it even though it meant waiting, because I really needed a better lcd. It was right at the time that the iPod was releasing the new version and there were no iPod photos available. I understand that now nearly all iPods have photo storage ability/view ability. However, I do not think you can beat the lcd screen on the p2000 - it is great! And by the way, the P2000 can store and play music!! As well, you should investigate iPod battery life - I was warned that downloading a cf card full of pics will drain an iPod battery.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter.

ann
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    Is it true that you can't replace ipod batteries?
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • StefStef Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    B&H has the P2000 for 449.99 right now. Then you can get the 50.00 MIR. I got to open mine on Friday and oh wow! The screen is killer! It's Christmas present, but I whined and got it early clap.gif
    I hope to get lots of use out of it on my trip to Seattle over Christmas! Only 3 more days... then VACATION! :):
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    rahmonster wrote:
    Is it true that you can't replace ipod batteries?

No, you can. Apple or 3rd party. YOU can't, but it can be done. Not sure about the latest, but I don't see any reason for it to have changed.

(On the older ones, you COULD, but I wouldn't want to open that thing up, myself...)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited December 18, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    No, you can. Apple or 3rd party. YOU can't, but it can be done. Not sure about the latest, but I don't see any reason for it to have changed.

(On the older ones, you COULD, but I wouldn't want to open that thing up, myself...)

It's covered under the warranty or the extended AppleCare Warranty, otherwise, here's the FAQs.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    One nice thing about the P-2000 is that you can store and view RAW files. I don't think the iPod can do that.

The battery lasts quite a bit on a single charge. Enough to download several 1-GB CF cards and still view the albums a few times.

Erich
    edited December 18, 2005
    erich6 wrote:
    One nice thing about the P-2000 is that you can store and view RAW files. I don't think the iPod can do that.

The battery lasts quite a bit on a single charge. Enough to download several 1-GB CF cards and still view the albums a few times.

Erich

Yes, the Epson is definitely a better choice strictly from a photo standpoint. Much better.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    erich6 wrote:

Erich

I've been using mine at the Nutcracker shoots and battery life is an issue. I've shot 4 x 4GB cards at each shoot. The battery doesn't last long enough for more than a few downloads from such a big card and it does take a while (1/2 hour?) to do. It's better than nothing, but I can't really view it as an unteathred solution.
    If not now, when?
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I've been using mine at the Nutcracker shoots and battery life is an issue. I've shot 4 x 4GB cards at each shoot. The battery doesn't last long enough for more than a few downloads from such a big card and it does take a while (1/2 hour?) to do. It's better than nothing, but I can't really view it as an unteathred solution.
    if you are in a place that has ac why would you not just leave it pluged in ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    jwear wrote:
    if you are in a place that has ac why would you not just leave it pluged in ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif

Sometimes there is AC and sometimes there isn't. Sports events are a problem. I'm thinking that winter sports would be more of a problem, even. The first two times at the ballet I couldn't find an outlet.

When there is AC great. When there isn't, less great.
    If not now, when?
  • BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    An extra battery for the P2000 is not that expensive really and having a power inverter in the car leaves my P2000 well off
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    I wanted a P2000, but found it a bit pricey. In the end, I settled for a PSD without viewer, just for on site storage. I went for the Nexto CF (since it had firewire, the only speedy connection on my ancient iBook), and it can download about 16 GB of info on a single charge, and at a very high speed as well. Add the additional (and free, if you order through Jaldigital) battery, and you'd probably be safe. Especially since it comes with a wall and car charger. That P2000 still looks great BTW, and it's nice that it's coming down in price.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Sometimes there is AC and sometimes there isn't. Sports events are a problem. I'm thinking that winter sports would be more of a problem, even. The first two times at the ballet I couldn't find an outlet.

When there is AC great. When there isn't, less great.
    the batt is oh well it sucks I have made a charger for the truck so if my car or the truck is around mine is pluged in --will this help you headscratch.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Cliff PhotoCliff Photo Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    I love my P2000, nothing but ooh's and aah's everytime I take it out....The storage is a prefect solution for me, and the high res screen can't be matched.

Nikon shooter: D200, Tokina 12-24, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 VR 2.8, 50 1.4 :click
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    I was tempted at one time to buy one. Then I got a tiny laptop for travel. Since then I haven't seen the need for one.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au