Options

Take galleries out of folders and ...

crocknycrockny Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited December 30, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hi - I'm still working on changing the legacy smugmug to the new ...

I have multiple galleries in multiple folders. I now want to create a galleries page with all galleries showing - no folders. I want a nav bar or link to galleries on my homepage but not to show any galleries.

What's the best way to start???? I can't even figure out how to get the galleries out of the folders!

Comments

• Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2013
    I want a nav bar or link to galleries on my homepage but not to show any galleries.

You can certainly add a menu block and set up links that way. Even just one link, and move it where you want it (if not at the top of the page like a normal menu).

You can also use a text block. That feature let's you add a link. Type the name of the gallery (or whatever you want the viewer to read), then highlight that and click the link icon, and add the URL.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2013
    I have multiple galleries in multiple folders. I now want to create a galleries page with all galleries showing - no folders.

Add a navigation block (or several as needed). You'll see options for what content to add. If you go the "galleries I choose" option, the thumbnails will show up in the order you left-click them to select them. You can also navigate to and from different folders to select more galleries. However if you want to re-order them you'll have to start over with the left-click method. So in this case it might be easier to add several blocks where you add the contents of each folder, and can more easily manage the order of the thumbs.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2013
    You set up a separate page for the method I just explained. Or a gallery, or a folder. You can add blocks to any of them. I tend to not use pages because they don't show up in the breadcrumb, but maybe that's what you want.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2013
    I have to say it's unwieldy trying to save and see your changes without publishing. It seems like you have to go to Organize, find your page, go to the redirect, and hit Customize before you make further edits! Or am I doing it the hard way?
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2013
    And how can I get my galleries page to look like this:

http://www.charleschesslerphotography.com/coney_island_mermaid_parade

I did make a page but I cannot get the thumbnails to be small enough and spread over the entire screen ...
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2013
    crockny wrote: »
    I have to say it's unwieldy trying to save and see your changes without publishing. It seems like you have to go to Organize, find your page, go to the redirect, and hit Customize before you make further edits! Or am I doing it the hard way?

The best way to manage edits to your site is indeed, Done/Publish.
    (Avoid Preview which has some bug.)
    I usually have a 2nd browser window open to the side, where I view in Organize mode.
    But you do not have to access a gallery/folder/page by entering via Organize.
    An easy help would be to add the All Folders/Galleries/Pages block to your home page. That will give you all the thumbnails by which you can navigate where you need.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2013
    And how can I get my galleries page to look like this:

http://www.charleschesslerphotography.com/coney_island_mermaid_parade

I did make a page but I cannot get the thumbnails to be small enough and spread over the entire screen ...

You might ask for code to get what you want.

I don't think that's a smugmug site because the name/date description under each thumbnail, is not SM. Or, if it is, it may be in legacy mode with javascript to get that neat switching effect. Java isn't allowed in new SM.

When you've added the galleries block to your page, click the wrench icon on the upper left brighter blue area, and select your options, which include setting the no. of pixels between each thumbnail, as well as where the title should show (on, above, etc.)

I'm not finding the CSS customization I thought there would be for locating or modifying the titles, but these may interest you.

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/Smaller-gallery-icons
    http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations/Gallery
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    You might ask for code to get what you want.

I don't think that's a smugmug site because the name/date description under each thumbnail, is not SM. Or, if it is, it may be in legacy mode with javascript to get that neat switching effect. Java isn't allowed in new SM.

When you've added the galleries block to your page, click the wrench icon on the upper left brighter blue area, and select your options, which include setting the no. of pixels between each thumbnail, as well as where the title should show (on, above, etc.)

I'm not finding the CSS customization I thought there would be for locating or modifying the titles, but these may interest you.

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/Smaller-gallery-icons
    http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations/Gallery

Love these customizations - I made the smallest thumbnails I could - thanks again!
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    All right I decided a folder would be better than a page for my galleries. So I started over and created a folder called galleries using the organizer. It says to drag and drop the galleries into the highlighted areas but there don't seem to BE any highlighted areas - what am I missing?
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    Never mind - when they say HERE they mean THERE ...
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    :D
    Sometimes the area to drop a block into, is way on the right or left side, out of your view. This happens often when dropping one block to the side of another. Move the mouse to the left or right and keep "moving" it, and the page will scroll and suddenly the vertical green bar will appear.
    The area to drop is usually a horizontal or vertical light green bar.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    This is a mess - I published my galleries page and my home page ... the home page doesn't look like what I published and the galleries page which I made as a folder doesn't seem to be obeying my css customization of making more columns etc ... WTF????

Apparently the new home page is on a separate page which is not recognized as home ...

http://untamednewyork.smugmug.com/Home

How do I hook this up?
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    :D
    Sometimes the area to drop a block into, is way on the right or left side, out of your view. This happens often when dropping one block to the side of another. Move the mouse to the left or right and keep "moving" it, and the page will scroll and suddenly the vertical green bar will appear.
    The area to drop is usually a horizontal or vertical light green bar.

Actually the area to drop it into was the list on the left, not the large blank area that said "here"!
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    Actually the area to drop it into was the list on the left, not the large blank area that said "here"!

Every page has multiple areas to drop. Don't just find the first one and drop it. You have to choose your locations: header, footer, left bar, right bar, main body. Once you've placed a block, you can add more in that area, above, below, to the left or right.

You probably placed the blocks in the wrong place?
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    Your homepage (which I'm determining by what's in the URL field on the browser):
    http://untamednewyork.smugmug.com/

The link you sent:
    http://untamednewyork.smugmug.com/Home

So this means you created another folder/gallery/or page called Home. But it's a sub-link to the real home.

Go into the Organizer mode and check your entire structure.

If you wanted the content in http://untamednewyork.smugmug.com/Home to actually reside in http://untamednewyork.smugmug.com/, you will need to recreate the blocks there. (Blocks aren't copiable, and neither are galleries.)

gwen
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    If you have each page open in a different browser, side by side on your monitor, you can open the blocks and copy the material from one, move to the other, add new block, paste in material, and proceed.

To be safe about Done/Publish, I kill the window I'm copying from, then Done/Publish the window with the new content.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    Thanks - done that - now how do I get my welcome message and my slideshow to be closer together?

• Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    BTW, I clicked to visit a gallery, and I see that you have a different theme there. A light background theme instead of the darker grey. If this wasn't intentional, then I will guess you need to:
    - go to the section to change (all galleries, where the light theme might be, for example)
    - click the Theme tab on the black flyout, scroll to the bottom of the available themes
    - click the My Themes, and choose the correct theme to apply.
    - Apply it, then Done/Publish

You need to do this to each of your site sections to have the same and only one theme apply to the entire site.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    Thanks - done that - now how do I get my welcome message and my slideshow to be closer together?

Hmm, not sure. Did you place the slideshow in the footer area rather than the main body?
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    Hmm, not sure. Did you place the slideshow in the footer area rather than the main body?

Yes because you can't seem to stack multiple blocks underneath each other in the same area - or am I wrong (I hope)?
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    Yes, you can. Multiple blocks in each of the areas (header etc.), above, below or beside them.
    But first you need to drag the slideshow and just find the main body (between header and footer).
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    Check to make sure you are actually editing the homepage.
    You should have clicked into it first on the right side black flyout, top of the list.

It's possible you are in a gallery without knowing it, and may be seeing the locked SM block that is not editable.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    No I managed to find the center block - this is so NOT user friendly. I stacked my text and slideshow in there but now the slideshow is tiny!
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    Well I moved the slideshow back to the footer and changed the content aware fill height to OFF and now it's working, more or less ...
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    With a little practice you will fly those blocks into place. mwink.gif
    I'm not a slideshow person - I see h about 7 inches, w about 10 in on my large laptop screen.
    There are several slideshow types, I think.
    Try the links at the top on this page:
    http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=243817&highlight=slideshow

Also click the wrench on the upper left corner of the slideshow block, for display options.
    Also the triangle ruler icon for container and margins, to maximize sizes.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    Well I moved the slideshow back to the footer and changed the content aware fill height to OFF and now it's working, more or less ...

I don't think it should be in the footer...
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    In the layout tab on the right side flyout do you have "Fill height" on?
    I would put it back in the main body and pursue getting a solution that way.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    In the layout tab on the right side flyout do you have "Fill height" on?
    I would put it back in the main body and pursue getting a solution that way.

Yes I put it back and have an approximation of what I would like - good enough for now.

I added a photo for my homepage background and I thought there was a way to change the opacity but I don't see it ... do you know of a way?
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    Yes I put it back and have an approximation of what I would like - good enough for now.

I added a photo for my homepage background and I thought there was a way to change the opacity but I don't see it ... do you know of a way?

Edit theme (black right flyout), click wrench.
    Advanced tab, scroll down, the alpha bars are transparency for the different sections.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2013
    Well I changed the opacity in Photoshop ...