Options

Hyphenate words in filename keywords?

GolfnutGolfnut Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
edited December 29, 2013 in SmugMug Support
In the user guide for SOE, this paragraph appears:

Filename Keywords: If you rename your photo files from DSC4836.jpg to a more descriptive Castro-Theater-San-Francisco.jpg before uploading, we will automatically include those words as keywords in your SmugMug gallery. Prefer that we don't do this? There's a toggle in your Account Settings > Discovery > Search tab where you can turn it off.

My question is, do the "-" symbols help the searching? I have filenames like ColoradoFlatironsMoonset3786.jpg
Would this be better for SEO? Colorado-Flatirons-Moonset-3786.jpg

Thanks,
Charles

Comments

• Options
    TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2013
    I do not believe the "-" symbols help the searching. Here is a help page link that gives more information about keywords. Make sure to click on the words "I want details with examples!" for more details.

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93291-how-do-keywords-work-in-search-
    Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2013
    Searching...
    Thank you for answering my previous question. I also have a post on the customization side of SmugMug.
    Would you mind taking a look at it and letting me know if you have an answer?

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=244024

Thanks,
    Charles
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2013
    I think using the dashes in the file name might not split them into individual KW's.
    But just checking, adding the KW xx-xxxxx results in xxxxxxx removing the dash and NOT adding two KW's.
    Extracting them from a file name might be different. Probably need to use spaces instead.
    Colorado Flatirons Moonset 3786.jpg
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2013
    More on file names...
    Allen wrote: »
    I think using the dashes in the file name might not split them into individual KW's.
    But just checking, adding the KW xx-xxxxx results in xxxxxxx removing the dash and NOT adding two KW's.
    Extracting them from a file name might be different. Probably need to use spaces instead.
    Colorado Flatirons Moonset 3786.jpg

I typically avoid spaces in file names because I have notices that certain operating systems and HTML editors do not behave well with spaces in file names and they insert a "&" character instead of a space. The fundamental question for me is what does Google see in this name: SanDiegoCoronadoSunset.jpg

If someone searched "Coronado" would Google find it in the file name?

Thanks,
    Charles