Options

Waterpolo

SnavieSnavie Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited January 14, 2014 in Sports
Ok, here it goes... My first post, please tell me what you think.
I've only shooted about 3 games, but hoping to do some more, so any tips or tricks are most welcome!

20131102-IMG_2355-L.jpg

20131102-IMG_2314-L.jpg

20131102-IMG_2344-L.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2014
    Fun sport to shoot. I got a crash course in it a couple years ago. The two big things I'd say here are that you need to crop (or zoom in camera if possible) to get us INTO the action. The other, is "get down". You are shooting down onto the players and that's not going to engage the viewer.

I'll try to post some examples later on...
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014
    Fun sport to shoot. I got a crash course in it a couple years ago. The two big things I'd say here are that you need to crop (or zoom in camera if possible) to get us INTO the action. The other, is "get down". You are shooting down onto the players and that's not going to engage the viewer.

I'll try to post some examples later on...

Thanks a lot for your feedback! I will try to work on this on my next match.
  • Options
    kobistarkobistar Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2014
    Third one is the best (to my humble opinion)_
  • Options
    queequegqueequeg Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2014
    Hmm, I'm drawn more to the first -- I can't tell if the top person's face is in focus or slightly out of it, but the splashing, the look of concentration, everything says action to me.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2014
    Snavie wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for your feedback! I will try to work on this on my next match.

Here's a few samples from some work I did in 2012. Sorry this took so long, been a busy week for me.

PTFPhoto_20120506_D80_9737-L.jpg

PTFPhoto_20120506_D80_0090-L.jpg

PTFPhoto_20120506_D80_0180-L.jpg

PTFPhoto_20120506_D80_0346-L.jpg

PTFPhoto_20120506_D80_0339-L.jpg

Gallery is here:

http://perroneford.smugmug.com/Sport-Photography/Miscellaneous/2012-Womens-Collegiate-Water/i-nPtfQzB

This was a 3 day tournament, and did something like 9000 frames, so I have a TON of stuff. This is just a small sample.

-P
  • Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2014
    I think this clearly illustrates that sports photos do not have a standard/uniform crop.
    Crop to the action.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2014
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    I think this clearly illustrates that sports photos do not have a standard/uniform crop.
    Crop to the action.

That is not a privilege some have. In most cases, I have to give my clients either 2x3 or 1x3, so my work reflects that.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2014
    That is not a privilege some have. In most cases, I have to give my clients either 2x3 or 1x3, so my work reflects that.

????? I think you misunderstood what I was saying - probably my fault.
    When you look at your examples versus the OP, yours have a lot more impact and are better "action" shots because you HAVE cropped to the action.
    The OP's shots on the other hand were all cropped to one ratio and as a result, there is a lot of wasted space in the photos.

I was actually complimenting you on your cropping that added to the drama of each shot.
    In your first response to the OP (post #2) you said: "you need to crop (or zoom in camera if possible) to get us INTO the action"
    Then in post #6 you posted examples of doing that.
    My response was to say - look at the improvement you can get when you do crop into the action
    So I'm not sure if you are arguing with yourself or not. ????????????
    I do understand that, for prints, you are somewhat constrained in your crop options ... but that was not what this thread was about - impact water polo photography.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2014
    I understand what you're saying. I was just mentioning that I am not always able to crop as I might like because my client put certain restrictions on me. So while I do try to crop to the action, I can only do so much because I need to fit that within a 2x2 ratio or a 1x3 ratio.

But yes, cropping is a terrific tool to get us into the shot. Filling the frame is important for impact in these types of shots. I try to do it in-camera as much as possible, but sometimes I am just not able.
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2014
    Fair enough thumb.gif
    I would agree with you.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2014
    Great to read all the comments and see the examples! I will definitely pay attention on this, next time I will shoot a match of waterpolo. Thanks a lot for the clear comments!