daughter's engagement

kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
edited January 1, 2014 in People
My daughter recently got engaged. We finally had a relatively warm break in our below-zero days, and ran out to get some winter shots. Any feedback on these is appreciated!
i-6jV7ptS-L.jpg

i-chTXzBM-L.jpg

i-wGwXkNB-L.jpg

i-4qkdjr4-L.jpg

i-rKtssNr-L.jpg

i-cNrN9rz-L.jpg

i-ncfjngt-L.jpg
Kate
www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2013
    Congratulations to her and you! Sweet couple :)

My first thought is that they're all framed a little tight - sure, some close shots, but maybe (if you get to do some more) some which are framed more loosely with an "airier" composition. This is also great for printing as it gives you both 5x7 and 8x10 options. I tend to crop in camera too much too, so I recognize the temptation!

1. This one doesn't work for me - his arm looks awkward, especially since it's been cut off at the wrist. Nice expressions, but I'd call this one a tosser.

2. Now THIS works for me - beautiful light, a pose that works, and a sense of sweetness. Contrary to my first comment, I'd say crop this one CLOSER so the ring is in that bottom left intersection of thirds - you can't give it more airspace, so make it intentionally tight. Very pretty shot.

3. She has a better expressioni than he does, but it's cute. Again, looser framing would have been better, butyou can get away with it because of the action vibe. Do you have another in this series with a better smile from him that you could composite into it for a cracking good shot?

4. Absolutely gorgeous of your daughter, but the bright spot of light and awkward crop don't work. Again, if you can't give it more room.... try cropping closer to see if you can make it work. Experiment with tilting it as well.

5. You know what I'm gonna say.... :giggle Very cute, but awkward crop.

6. Very cute! Did you do it with a lensbaby, or blur in post?

7. Unfortunately, the bright light makes this one less than effective - cute idea though, and definitely one to revisit :)

You certainly captured the fun of the day and I'm sure they'll enjoy them!
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2013
    Agree with Diva on some nits but I really like #5 and verticals don't usually bother me.
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2014
    Thank you for your comments. I was so focused on getting their faces that I did crop most of them close. Here's a couple with more space:
    i-9ZPJJGq-L.jpg
    i-gQpPSgk-L.jpg

and a couple cropped closer
    i-zwhB3GH-L.jpg
    i-VnQ4HkQ-XL.jpg
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2014
    Love 9 and the new crop on 10! thumb.gif