Options

jpeg conversion

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited December 19, 2005 in Technique
When saving a tiff as a Jpeg and the options dialouge box appears...
What are the best settings for saving your files?

Image options I presume I should always set for mamimum (12)...

But the format options are where I have no clue: Baseline standard, optimized or progressive.

Which one?:scratch :scratch :scratch :scratch

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    ART SCOTT wrote:
    When saving a tiff as a Jpeg and the options dialouge box appears...
    What are the best settings for saving your files?

Image options I presume I should always set for mamimum (12)...

But the format options are where I have no clue: Baseline standard, optimized or progressive.

Which one?headscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.

Baseline standard. 12 is very large - and you'd be very hard pressed to tell a difference between 12 to 10. Most folks can't discern between 12 and 9 even.

Much more in SmugMug Help

and more here, too

I hope this helps.

All the best,
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    Depends what you are going to do with it. If you ever plan to edit again, use higher quality, else 10 or even lower is fine. If you do plan to reedit, perhaps jpeg isn't the right format, but then again maybe it is since even at highest quality it's so much smaller than any alternative.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Depends what you are going to do with it. If you ever plan to edit again, use higher quality, else 10 or even lower is fine. If you do plan to reedit, perhaps jpeg isn't the right format, but then again maybe it is since even at highest quality it's so much smaller than any alternative.

One of my reasons for needing to convert to jpeg is to upload to smugmug and a couple other sites. I always have my Raw files archived and there is also the tiff files that are archived.

It seems I cannot go from raw to jpg in ps in on e step so I have been saving as a tif and then re-opening and saving in jpg for the web (1 very low res file from imageready and 1 max res jpg(12 for printing from..)...seems like the local processors want jpgs to pring from and tell me that if I need to get a large print [30 X 40 in] from 6 or 8 mp camera, it is very do able with great results...kinda contradicts what i had read in the past......

Thans for the info.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website