Options

Login Problems

thonsuthonsu Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited May 13, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Hi!

I'm having login problems. I click "remember me" every time I log in, but it only remembers me sometimes. If I go more than, say, a day without visiting my site, I will have to log in again.

Additionally, sometimes I'll visit my site and see that I'm logged in, but I'm actually not. For example, I'll go to my page, create a gallery, click on "upload photos", drag and drop some photos, only to be told for each photo that the upload failed because I "do not appear to be logged into that account". So I close out of there and go to smugmug.com and see that, in fact, I'm not logged in.

I'm using Chrome, btw.

This is quite frustrating. After a little research, it appears login issues have accompanied New Smugmug since its inception. When can we expect a fix?

Thanks,
-Tom

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2014
    Hi Tom,
    All the "remember me" feature does, is set a cookie in your browser so you'll stay logged in for longer periods of time. However, if your browser or some other software clears out the cookies, you'll need to log in again. The system also may ask you to verify your login before you can access certain parts of the site, like the account settings.

In Chrome, check that your cookie settings are set to "allow local data to be set" and that you didn't check the "block third party cookies" checkbox. You may also want to check what add-ons / extensions you've installed in your browser to see if any of them might be clearing out cookies.

In regards to the uploader issue, log out and try logging back in via www.smugmug.com . Also check that you've installed the latest version of Chrome. Do you use any VPN or private surfing application?
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014
    Thanks for your time and help, rainforest1155.

Unfortunately, none of your suggested culprits exist for me. The appropriate cookie checkboxes in Chrome are checked/unchecked. None of my four extensions (AdBlock, Reddit Enhancement Suite, Boomerang, and Google Docs) are clearing cookies. No private surfing applications.

Funnily (and frustratingly) enough, I also had to re-login here to Dgrin to reply to this post, despite checking the "remember me" box.

-Tom
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2014
    Which ISP are you using? Some ISPs perform aggressive caching that could show you logged-out pages while you're logged in (ignoring your session cookie).

Some other ISPs (notably AOL) cause your IP address as seen by the server to change rapidly, which can cause session security systems that verify your IP address to log you out. I know that the forum system phpBB has such IP address checks, and maybe vBulletin used on DGrin does too.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2014
    Lamah wrote: »
    Which ISP are you using? Some ISPs perform aggressive caching that could show you logged-out pages while you're logged in (ignoring your session cookie).

Some other ISPs (notably AOL) cause your IP address as seen by the server to change rapidly, which can cause session security systems that verify your IP address to log you out. I know that the forum system phpBB has such IP address checks, and maybe vBulletin used on DGrin does too.

An interesting suggestion, but Smugmug sites are the only sites this occurs on. My ISP is Charter. The behavior of being able to upload photos only for each photo to fail seems more like a Smugmug problem than an ISP problem, though.
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2014
    I'm continually annoyed by this issue - it just occurred again. And then I remembered that I created this thread. And then I remembered that Smugmug only fixes things on a whim. My love/hate relationship with their product continues. If only I had more time to find an alternative.