Options

Don't want SmugMug-Rich Martinez Photography

rezrez Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
edited February 19, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Ever since I made the jump to the new layouts my website comes up with "SmugMug-Rich Martinez Photography" on searches. I DONT WANT THIS! Ive contacted help several times and get a run around. Can anybody tell me how to change it back. I was told "it will change back eventually" its been that way since summer. PLEASE TELL ME HOW OR IF IT'S POSSIBLE to not have the SmugMug before the name of my website!? :uhoh:scratch

www.richmartinezphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2014
    What do you mean with "searches" ?
    I tgried "Google" and all i can find is:
    R I C H M A R T I N E Z
    Billions of happy photos, millions of passionate customers. Gorgeous online photo albums. Protect your priceless memories. Buy beautiful prints & gifts.
    If i search on SmugMug i also don't see the SmugMug-Prefix. The only note about smugmug is on your homepage at the bottom of the site (Photo sharing by smugmug).

Ahh... wait... i tried BING, the Microsoft-Search and DuckDuckGo: They show me this:
    SmugMug - Rich Martinez Photography
    Rich Martinez Photography - Salt Lake City, Utah - Fine art Prints - Landscapes- Still Lifes. color and black and white photography. Wasatch Mountains.
    Looks like BING/DDgo uses the meta-titles with property "site_name" and "title" to create the search results. Google only uses the "title".

That seem to be different for different searches, i cant think of how you can fix that yourself. SmugMug must remove the Meta-Tag "site_name" to fix that.

From your http-headers:
    meta content="SmugMug" property="og:site_name"/meta
    meta content="http://www.richmartinezphotography.com" property="og:url"/meta
    meta content="Rich Martinez Photography" property="og:title"/meta
    meta content="Rich Martinez Photography - Salt Lake City, Utah - Fine art color and black and white photography. Wasatch Mountains."/meta
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2014
    Hmmm, I will look into this Rich. This is the first I have seen this. I will keep you posted.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2014
    Dunno why Bing is picking up that Meta - I'm sure Bonocore will find out. BUT to the OP, you are getting this:

"Billions of happy photos, millions of passionate customers. Gorgeous online photo albums. Protect your priceless memories. Buy beautiful prints & gifts." on some Google search results because you have no sitewide meta data set in your account settings. Once you add that, your meta replaces SM's default metadata.
  • Options
    rezrez Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2014
    Thank you, phaserbeam, mbonocore, Andy. clap.gif

Okay Andy I will add some metadata, how do I go about doing that? Im not sure why this happened after I switched over to the new SmugMug? I wanted to post a screenshot from a google search, but couldn't figure how to do it without putting it in a public gallery. I don't know why its coming up for me like this on Yahoo and google. It used to always come up as " Rich Martinez Photography
    Rich Martinez Photography - Salt Lake City, Utah - Fine art Prints - Landscapes- Still Lifes. color and black and white photography. Wasatch Mountains." Don't know how it got mixed up in different searches?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited January 5, 2014
    rez wrote: »
    ...I will add some metadata, how do I go about doing that?
    Go to Account Settings... Discovery... Search. Fill in the Homepage Meta Description and Homepage Meta Keywords.

--- Denise
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2014
    We have removed the meta code Bing was picking up. It way take some time to take update in the search results.

Rich, please check in a couple days and let me know. Thanks!
  • Options
    tarheeltarheel Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2014
    This was exactly my problem too. Bing includes the site title. I see you made this update on 1/23/14. Just how long do you think "some time" is? Cause it still shows this when Bing-ing my site: Rick Walter Photography.
  • Options
    DanCarl97DanCarl97 Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2014
    I've been having this problem as well but in a slighly different matter. My pages' descriptions are put in some meta tag that only Bing can read while Google can't - and it screws over my pages because to Google they're 'similar pages' and don't need listing.

I've reported this numerous times over the past 6 months to no avail. I don't know if even this time the Engineers are taking a look?

Here's the details: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=245252