Options

How do I increase center section of Sierra theme?

juledurjuledur Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 287 Major grins
edited January 7, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
The center section of the Sierra theme is really small proportionally on the homepage, and I'd like to know how to increase the width. Ideally, I'd like to put either a slideshow or landscape collage in that spot. I tried the new full-screen slideshow, but I find that it's too unpredictable, and doesn't really compliment my images.

Thanks in advance for the help.

www.fireflowerphoto.com (new version not yet published - still tweaking)

Comments

• Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2014
    Can you set your site to 'stretchy'? Or a set increase in px width? On the black fly-out, the Layout tab.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2014
    It's already on "stretchy"

I found a better way to word my question:

I'm using the Sierra design, but the center content block is fairly narrow. What do I do to increase the width so that I can show more photos in a row?

Thanks!
  • Options
    CharlyCharly Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2014
    juledur wrote: »
    It's already on "stretchy"

I found a better way to word my question:

I'm using the Sierra design, but the center content block is fairly narrow. What do I do to increase the width so that I can show more photos in a row?

Thanks!

On the page you wish to enlarge, go to the layout tab in your side panel. There near the top you'll probably have width at 960px. Increase it to the size you want. On my Galleries page I have it set to 1344. Hope this helps! If not others more knowledgeable than I will chime in. mwink.gif
    www.ImagerybyCharly.com | Serving the DFW area of Texas and beyond
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2014
    I don't think I'm understanding.
    And I'm not sure you can do what Charly said.
    If you have your site set to Stretchy, can you even widen the width the way Charly suggested? (I think not.)
    Is this an issue where you need to enlarge your browser to something bigger, so that the center has more space?
    Or do you have a left sidebar that takes up space?

My site is set to "fixed", so I don't want to try testing this, but what happens if you set the left and right margins to negative numbers? These are on the black flyout, Layout, under the Stretchy/Fixed options.
  • Options
    CharlyCharly Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2014
    My apologies, I should've clarified about setting the one you want to change to "Just this Page or Folder or Gallery". If that doesn't come up in left panel then click on the + make this custom underneath what is highlighted. Then follow my steps.

ChancyRat ~ My Entire Site is set to Stretchy and my Galleries page is fixed to 1344 and my About Photograper page is set to fixed 1000px. Everything seems to be working fine on my end. Might you be so kind as to check it on your end and let me know? Imagery by Charly Thanks!
    www.ImagerybyCharly.com | Serving the DFW area of Texas and beyond
  • Options
    Smug EricSmug Eric Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 333
    edited January 7, 2014
    @juledur change the Body width section in your customize view under the Layout tab
    Eric
    Support Hero and Customeister
    http://www.smugmug.com/help
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2014
    This is on the homepage only. There is a rectangle that says "Center" in the middle of it, and for a while it was a total mystery what was supposed to go there. Then when I wanted to add photos to that page, other than a background image, it was the only block they could go into.

I don't have any sidebars at all, just a header with a logo on one side (25%) and the nav bar on the other.

It's just the content block itself that's too narrow. It seems to have fixed borders (little squiggly lines). There is a spot in the layout that gives you margin dimensions, but they won't exceed the established borders.

Is there maybe a CSS fix for this?
  • Options
    Smug EricSmug Eric Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 333
    edited January 7, 2014
    Yes, under layout for your homepage the body width is set to be 600px wide. If you delete that number it will stretch to fill or if change it to something wider it will use that dimension.
    Eric
    Support Hero and Customeister
    http://www.smugmug.com/help