Options

Weird goings-on on the /date page

beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
edited January 6, 2014 in SmugMug Support
According to my upload log I've uploaded four pics so far during 2014. AFAIK that's correct - three uploads using KomodoDrop and one replacement using the visually-bugged Tools > Organize > Replace function.

But when I go to my /date page - http://beardedgit.smugmug.com/date - it tells me that there are only three pics for 2014.

And when I click on the date-page button for 2014 to find out which three-from-four it has detected, it says "No Photos found" when I'm logged in, or "Gallery is Empty" when I'm logged out.

Any thoughts, solutions, opinions... ?
Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 5, 2014
    Hi,
    The reason you are seeing only 3 uploads for the year is the one replacement photo, replaced a photo from another year. Not 2014. So while technically it was uploaded in 2014, the photo is replacing one from another year. So it will display under that year. The 3 out of 4 detected are the actual new uploads. However, these photos should display when clicking that button. But since they were recently uploaded and it may take some time for them to index. Give this some time and let us know if you don't see the photos displayed, by later this evening. The photos are definitely displaying in the gallery, just not the virtual Date gallery.....yet.

Cavig
    :cavig
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2014
    Hi Cavig,

Thanks for the info and for checking this.

Yup, all of the pics that I've uploaded are there in the galleries, but the /date page won't find any for 2014.

It won't find any for December 2013 either.

The latest upload that it finds is a pic that I uploaded in mid-November, the /date page finds it if I choose dates 18th to 19th November (but the pic's EXIF says that it was last modified on the 20th so I don't know what's going on there!) FWIW, that latest-found pic is at http://beardedgit.smugmug.com/Everything-else/General/Miscellaneous-2/i-vkcN6LN/A

I've uploaded many pics since then but /date won't find them.

How long should indexing take? We're looking at a seven-week lag here. Methinks something's amiss!
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2014
    Looking at your upload log, you uploaded this photo on Dec 30, however the photo doesn't contain any "date taken" EXIF metadata. That's likely why the date page for December doesn't return it.
    The photo you link to does contain a date taken.

Give it another try with a photo that contains full camera details, including the "date taken" field.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2014
    Hmm... so the /date page works with Date Taken, not Date Uploaded or Date Modified.

So that makes it pretty useless for finding my screenshots and those of my astro pics which don't retain "Date Taken" in the EXIF because they are "stacks" of many exposures, often taken over many days, and often using more than one camera.

Cheers for the good news.
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2014
    It definitely has issues. I deleted 73 wedding photographs in November and the numbers are still showing up for 2013 but only when I am logged in. If I am logged out it says I have 1103 photographs for 2013, if I am logged in I have 1179. The only gallery I had password protected last year was for the one wedding and there are no other 'hidden' photographs but I had 1179 photographs for 2013 before I removed the 73 and it is still showing 1179 (when I am logged in) after I removed the entire gallery.

PS - If I then click on '2013' whether I am logged in or logged out, to bring them all up for the year I only get 1100!