Options

another n00b seeks a camera

JurgenJurgen Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited January 6, 2014 in Cameras
Have been a member here for some time, but not active at all. The shutterbug has hit and thought I'd come here for some advice

Have a deep dark photo past (High School) so most knowledge is forgotten. Had a decent P&S (G9) which was stolen and now am using a POS Samsung. --- I do love the Wifi though. :D

Looking through the camera forums there is some that I've found on newbie cameras. I was shocked, shocked I say to find Rachel Medina considering herself a n00b. Plus, it opened my eyes to what a P&S can do.

I have been circling M4/3 cameras-- especially previous generation. Actually almost bought a Oly EP3 with kit lens through Amazon. Olympus EP3 for $370.

But I also keep being drawn to the Fuji line. Something about their photos I just like. Plus it seems to me, that they are designed for simple adjustments of the important stuff (aperture, iso, exposure, shutter speed) without having to dive into menus.

Ok-- so I've been watching tons of youtube (to where Kai and Blunty annoy me) reading some reviews and just getting more confused.

Wants--
Easy controls, I need to learn to be a photographer again. I don't want to have to go through 17 screens of menu every time I want to change something. Viewfinder-- EVF or optical-- either I'm good with. Good image quality, good enough to see improvement if I work at it. Budget circa $500.00 I can go up, but for where I'm at as a photographer a $1300 Fuji 100S makes no sense. (A comment on one guys pictures sticks with me, "so much money for such bland results." Good autofocus is a plus. Quick press button to picture time is a must. Size matters, I like to travel- often by motorcycle. Thus I shy away from entry DSLRs. I do like wifi.

Cameras that have crossed my horizon lately.
The Olympus EP3-- $370 I'd have to buy an external viewfinder, willing to do but not preferred.
Other, newer Olympus???
Olympus EM5--- maybe used for the mid $650 range. Like that it is dust/weather protected
Fuji X20.--- seems like a lot there for a "P&S"
Sony-- would it be a Nex6-- as with the Olympus EM5 we're getting bracket creep here.

I know this set of questions is probably asked a bunch here. I saw Rachel's thread but I'm at a different level-- just starting out rather than mastered the camera trying to improve the equipment.

Thanks in advance,
Jurgen

Comments

• Options
    T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2014
    Jurgen wrote: »
    But I also keep being drawn to the Fuji line. Something about their photos I just like. Plus it seems to me, that they are designed for simple adjustments of the important stuff (aperture, iso, exposure, shutter speed) without having to dive into menus.

Cameras that have crossed my horizon lately.
    The Olympus EP3-- $370 I'd have to buy an external viewfinder, willing to do but not preferred.
    Other, newer Olympus???
    Olympus EM5--- maybe used for the mid $650 range. Like that it is dust/weather protected
    Fuji X20.--- seems like a lot there for a "P&S"
    Sony-- would it be a Nex6-- as with the Olympus EM5 we're getting bracket creep here.

I don't have any direct experience with the cameras you mentioned, but will say that it is good you have read the other recent thread on this topic (some good stuff to think about there).

Some more information from you about your preferred photo subjects will draw more opinions about the best direction to take.

If my understanding is correct (you are feeling very much a beginner, want to not go too crazy spending money at this point, and you really like the Fuji x20 for its image quality), the Fuji would not be a bad decision.

My reasoning is that the Fuji (which you already like) gets you started affordably, and the best way to know your photographic needs/wants is to spend time shooting and learning when/how your existing equipment holds you back (in the beginning, it will generally not be the camera, but as you grow you will learn what matters to you about equipment and what features/capabilities are unimportant to you).

Someone with specific knowledge of these cameras will come along and give you good advice (particularly if you can expand on what photographic subjects/situations you expect to pursue). I'm just suggesting that, while it is good to consider that advice, at this stage you can't go too wrong going with your gut on the purchase and then making an effort to use your new gear a lot (especially since you are being careful not to spend wildly, which would increase risk).

You will know your own mind better as your experience grows, so don't try _too_ hard to make a perfect purchasing decision now (I don't think any camera you listed would be a huge disappointment).

Maybe try to see the Fuji in person, and confirm a couple things: you like the handling, and the focal range is consistent with what you used to use (or at least, what you think you would like to start with).
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley