Options

Help with menus

CharlyCharly Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited January 8, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
I'm nearly finished with all the tweaks to my new site and need some help with a couple of menu questions.

1. In my main menu I have Galleries. This is set up on a page to display the galleries how I want. With them not being in Folders is there any way to get a drop down list from the menu Galleries link? Like Information has? I want folder names as main and flyout gallery names, but retain using the page I have. For instance:

Galleries
Travel .....Europe
..............Europe ~ B&W
Architecture......Architecture
.......................Architecture ~ B&W
and so on

2. On my About Photographer page. Is there a way to add a small, short, vertical left side menu, but still keep the main menu at the top?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
www.ImagerybyCharly.com | Serving the DFW area of Texas and beyond

Comments

• Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2014
    Charly wrote: »
    1. In my main menu I have Galleries. This is set up on a page to display the galleries how I want. With them not being in Folders is there any way to get a drop down list from the menu Galleries link? Like Information has? I want folder names as main and flyout gallery names, but retain using the page I have. For instance:

Galleries
    Travel .....Europe
    and so on
    Look at the top-left of the SM header and you should see a "?" in a circle in a square. That's where Help is, and a quick search for the word "menu" brings up 69 items, this one is at the top of the list: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1222523-customization-how-do-i-make-a-navigation-menu-
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2014
    beardedgit wrote: »
    Look at the top-left of the SM header and you should see a "?" in a circle in a square. That's where Help is, and a quick search for the word "menu" brings up 69 items, this one is at the top of the list: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1222523-customization-how-do-i-make-a-navigation-menu-

Well duh... lol Sorry to have bothered with something so simple. That's what I get for looking around here and not the SM help. lol
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2014
    Well duh... lol Sorry to have bothered with something so simple. That's what I get for looking around here and not the SM help. lol
    We're here to help each other, if you get stuck with what the help pages say (they're not always accurate or easy for non-techies) or if you need a custom-job then just holler and we'll try to sort you out thumb.gif
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2014
    I'm nearly finished with all the tweaks to my new site and need some help with a couple of menu questions.

Galleries
    Travel .....Europe
    and so on

2. On my About Photographer page. Is there a way to add a small, short, vertical left side menu, but still keep the main menu at the top?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

FYI the left sidebar menu only goes one level deep. Your sample has two.
    SM said if there are a lot of user requests for more layers, the might add them, but I don't know if a formal feature request has been submitted.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2014
    Another aspects of left menus is that some people have asked whether a folder can be "open" as a default. Meaning a viewer would not have to click the plus sign to view sub-contents. I have not seen code that would do that.

You could manually add sub-links instead of relying on "open folder contents", but then you run up against the limit of one layer deep.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2014
    beardedgit wrote: »
    We're here to help each other, if you get stuck with what the help pages say (they're not always accurate or easy for non-techies) or if you need a custom-job then just holler and we'll try to sort you out thumb.gif

Thanks! That worked like a charm and now I have my "main menu" the way I want it! wings.gif Any chance you could help me figure out how to use the left menu only on my About page? I understand I can pull a Menu block into it, which is great. But I want to do a bit more with it, which I didn't clarify. My apologies!

I'd like a left or perhaps lower menu that I can use to link to awards I've received. I'd like to use icons from the presenters that will have links to the URL I select. Does that make sense?
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    FYI the left sidebar menu only goes one level deep. Your sample has two.

Whoops that is for my main menu not the left menu I wish to build. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2014
    Sorry, I missed this. Are you facing the issue of, the leftbar you created, is on the about page, because you added it to Entire Site, or All Folders, or All galleries, but since you want a different leftbar on this page, you need to remove the first leftbar. How do you accomplish this?

I haven't tried to work this out myself, but I played with one gallery, and I see I can't remove the topnav on it because that is on Entire Site. Someone else may have a better idea but I think the only way to do this is to change the entire Theme for the About page. That would mean you would have to duplicate all of the customization on your main site for it, except for what you don't want, e.g., the leftbar.