Options

Variations on a Psychological Image

1magineer1magineer Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
edited January 8, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
Still very new to the forum here, but I might as well jump in with both feet. Before I comment further on anyone else's work, I ought to post a few of my own for consideration. So far, I've only dabbled in the "Challenges" area here.

This is an image I did some experimenting with: multiple post–production treatments of one subject. I am finding that subtle shifts in mood and impact happen. I guess I am not surprised, since back when I was drawing and painting, changing just one line could change the feel of the whole thing. We'll see what you think. I may consider a way to mount all together in some kind of collage, or do a framed series to be hung together. This one is called "The Payer."

The%20Prayer-Color%20Version-1-L.jpg
ThePrayer-4-L.jpg
The%20Prayer-V3-1-L.jpg
The%20Prayer-V4-1-L.jpg
–Mark

"Conventional thinking is the ruin of our souls..." ~Rumi

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited January 6, 2014
    I like #4 the best (for its mysterious feel) and #2 the least (not enough story for so much contrast). If I were to do a series, I think I would crop them all to the same size and aspect. Keep experimenting--you're on to something. thumb.gif
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2014
    Nice work! I love the red version (#1), it has great warmth and texture, #4 is very good too.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2014
    Welcome Mark! I really like your work here and elsewhere... thumb.gif

I'm liking #1 the best also - the red tone/texture is moody and appropriate to the scene.

But, I like #4 too for the closer view and for the isolation of the figure and a sense of what is
    being viewed out of the window - my eye would like to see the crop at the top to include just the
    upper window frame as a completion of the border, but, I'm pretty sure you left it out on-purpose as an artistic choice... good stuff!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2014
    Richard wrote: »
    I like #4 the best (for its mysterious feel) and #2 the least (not enough story for so much contrast). If I were to do a series, I think I would crop them all to the same size and aspect. Keep experimenting--you're on to something. thumb.gif

Funny, as I posted here, I realized that this was the first time I actually lined them all up on one screen, Laughing.gif. I agree with your assessment of #4, and will consider your other feedback carefully. I am thinking same size and aspect is the way to go...

I took a look at your site... you have a gift for what we used to call "Every Day Life" or "EDLs" when I was at Brooks Institute about a 100 years ago, Laughing.gif. Nice work...
    –Mark

edited January 7, 2014
    1magineer wrote: »
    I took a look at your site... you have a gift for what we used to call "Every Day Life" or "EDLs" when I was at Brooks Institute about a 100 years ago, Laughing.gif. Nice work...
    Thanks, Mark. EDL is the only genre that fits my budget. lol3.gif

I looked at your site as well...beautiful color and nice wit as well. Hope you post more here soon.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2014
    Juano wrote: »
    Nice work! I love the red version (#1), it has great warmth and texture, #4 is very good too.

Thank you, Cristóbal! I did the analog of push processing, forcing some noise on this shot.

BTW, I made a visit to your site. Really lovely work you have there. I am fortunate to be in such company in this forum! :-)

~Mark
    –Mark

edited January 7, 2014
    Earache wrote: »
    Welcome Mark! I really like your work here and elsewhere... thumb.gif

I'm liking #1 the best also - the red tone/texture is moody and appropriate to the scene.

But, I like #4 too for the closer view and for the isolation of the figure and a sense of what is
    being viewed out of the window - my eye would like to see the crop at the top to include just the
    upper window frame as a completion of the border, but, I'm pretty sure you left it out on-purpose as an artistic choice... good stuff!

Eric, thanks for weighing in. You are right about the choice of the window frame (that I did it on purpose), but that doesn't mean it is the best way to do it. I wanted to create some tension there, but I will try another crop using your suggestion... in fact, I am going to play around with all the feedback received here.

Made a visit to your galleries... like me, you seem to enjoy taking on any subject that presents an opportunity for an image impact. I enjoyed the captures there!

~Mark
    –Mark

edited January 7, 2014
    Richard wrote: »
    Thanks, Mark. EDL is the only genre that fits my budget. lol3.gif

I looked at your site as well...beautiful color and nice wit as well. Hope you post more here soon.

Thank you, Richard!
    –Mark

edited January 7, 2014
    Thanks for the kind words Mark. I took a trip to your site, nice work too. I specially liked your silvery black and whites. Welcome again.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2014
    Thanks for the kind words Mark. I took a trip to your site, nice work too. I specially liked your silvery black and whites. Welcome again.

Thank you, and I appreciate your choice of "silvery" as an adjective! We might take that two ways... as an overall descriptor, but also as in "like the high–silver content prints of old..."

If you meant to include the latter meaning, then you are quite perceptive, in that having spent hours in the darkroom years ago, I seek to achieve the similar effects with digital post–production methods.

I can't tell you how much I value that time I had with analog processing and clunky gear, for though I LOVE where the digital age has taken us, having had that analog experience helps me ground my approach. :-)
    –Mark