Options

Problem with keyboard arrow navigation in "Smugmug"-style gallery

corinoscorinos Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited January 22, 2014 in Bug Reporting
Hi all,

I noticed the bug that I will describe in all browsers, in both Windows 7 and Mac (some version; not sure which). The steps below will replicate the bug:

1. Open a Smugmug-style gallery in which the thumbnails stretch across more than one pages; i.e., visit this gallery of mine: http://www.orinosphotography.com/Photo-Exhibit/Places/New-York
2. Without clicking anything else, navigate to the next photo with the right arrow on your keyboard until you reach the final photo of the current thumbnail page. One more right arrow keystroke and you will be correctly taken to the next photo, while the thumbnails page will advance as well. Yet another right arrow keystroke and you see the next photo, till the final thumbnail of the current thumbnails page. All good till now.
3. Now, go back to the gallery as before and click on whichever photo so that it appear maximized in lightbox. Close the lightbox view and repeat step 2 above. You will find that, as expected, after the end of the current thumbnail page, the next right arrow keystroke moves to the next thumbnail page and next photo. However, another right arrow keystroke and the BUG creeps in; instead of navigating to the next image, it is only the thumbnail page that is being controlled. From that point on, the behaviour is completely messed up; pressing the left/right arrows on the keyboard cannot reintroduce the expected functionality.

Note that after viewing any photo in the lightbox, the keyboard arrow navigation bugs messes up the lightbox navigation as well. Just navigate to the next photo in lightbox view and at some stage (namely the final photo of the current thumbnail page) you will see that pressing the arrows does nothing for few keystrokes. Then suddenly the very first photo of the gallery is shown...

Is this an already spotted bug? Any estimate on when it is expected to be fixed?

Thanks and regards,
Chris

Comments

• Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2014
    While i was able to reproduce this on your mentioned gallery (open gallery, select last photo in thumbnails list, open lightbox, close lightbox, use cursor right to navigate to next photo will switch to the next thumbnails page but the photo does not update) i can not see this "bug" on my page.

Can you try to test this here ?

You seem to have some CSS active there... the Previous thumbs page arrow is always grayed out while it seem to work. Can you reproduce this bug if you create a clean gallery without any CSS?
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2014
    Hmmm... interestingly enough, I cannot trace this "bug" on your gallery. However, I can see exactly the same behaviour on my website even after deleting ALL of the custom CSS code...

Any other suggestions to try in order to trace the root problem of that?

PS: I can leave my website for few hours stripped of the CSS code so that you can confirm that the problem persists...
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2014
    Maybe this is template/design related? I know some design/templates do have some different properties/settings.

I think you should contact the help desk since i can reproduce that "bug" on your page even without all CSS.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2014
    OK, thanks for confirming that. I just sent the Smugmug Help Desk an e-mail. Let's see what they have to say about it...
  • Options
    moirainemoiraine Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2014
    Hi Corinos,

There was a problem with galleries that had the "slideshow" option turned off, where opening and closing the lightbox basically broke gallery paging. A fix has been pushed live and your galleries appear to be happily functioning with lightbox again =)
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2014
    I've got this problem in the Lightbox from any gallery type! Something's broken! If the engineers have been implementing another fix or change and broken something that was working perfectly, it wouldn't be the first time! mwink.gif

P.S. It seems to be a problem just with Safari, for me. Firefox and Chrome are OK. BTW, it's not just the arrows that are not displaying correctly, it appears to be with all symbols.
  • Options
    moirainemoiraine Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2014
    If you want to post a sample gallery (maybe smugmug style since those are easier to test, if it's in fact happening in every type), that would help. I went to the first one I could find on your site, opened the lightbox, closed the lightbox, changed thumbnail pages, and everything worked as expected.

If you are experiencing a different bug, than the one reported earlier, feel free to file it separately so it doesn't get buried under a mismatched bug. However, you seem to be saying that you have issues with icons in Safari. I also opened lightbox and checked the same gallery, in safari, and nothing appears different from the other browsers.