Film Terms

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited December 22, 2005 in Finishing School
I'm no expert, but there are some film terms that I use that it seems that many aren't aware of. I thought I'd make a post with a link about them.

Density: refers to the density of silver on a negative or print.

Too Dense: too much silver. A negative that's too dense will result in a print that's too thin.

Here's a link to back me up on this one.

I find it better than saying "too dark", since it's different. The darkest point may be just fine, but overall it may be too dense. Anyway, I like the term. Another way of putting it is to say it is overexposed (for a negative), but would produce a print that is "too thin" or, again, overexposed.

Another term that I've grown to like is milky. I got this one from my film (as in motion picture) career. If an image is milky it lacks a true black point, so that all the blacks are gray, or "milky".

Those are just a few. Peruse the link if you're so inclined, and post your own terms that you've grown to love.
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• ebwestebwest Registered Users Posts: 416 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    Brings back memories. I was a motion picture photographer in the army ooo so many years ago. Nothing dramatic, mostly studio stuff. When I got back into it, found that ASA had changed to ISO and was nervous until I figured that the numbers meant about the same. Wonder why they changed it. I never really looked to find out.
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    ebwest wrote:
    Brings back memories. I was a motion picture photographer in the army ooo so many years ago. Nothing dramatic, mostly studio stuff. When I got back into it, found that ASA had changed to ISO and was nervous until I figured that the numbers meant about the same. Wonder why they changed it. I never really looked to find out.
    The change was to move film speeds from an American standard (ASA) to the international standard (ISO)... I least that's what I always thought ne_nau.gif