More Pats-Bucs pics (dial-up warning)

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited December 20, 2005 in Sports
Unprocessed, straight jpegs, 20D and 70-200L f/4. Suggestions/comments/critiques welcome

Colvin closes in an a sack
48678683-M.jpg

Cadillac Williams looks for a hole that isn't there
48679515-M.jpg

Brady throws a pass while getting his facemask yanked. The pass was completed, plus the 15 yard penalty. Now we didn't see the facemask happen, but it was pretty fun showing the "replay" on my LCD to the fans sitting near us. :lol3
48680475-M.jpg

Dillon cuts for the goal line
48680641-M.jpg

and then celebrates the TD.
48680945-M.jpg

Givens 1/2 second before getting lit up - this was a big hit!
48685067-M.jpg

Now to self-critique, I would say that while these are much better shots than I have previously gotten, they are still pretty boring shots. The stuff I see and like from the pros like Winger, Waxy, et al. is much different. For one thing, it's sharper and tighter to the action. You can see faces, eyeballs, muscles straining. So my concluson is that 200mm isn't enough, and f/4 isn't enough either. But I had fun anyway and learned a lot.

This is the closest I got to what I wanted to get. This is Troy Brown, the ultimate New England Patriot, as he catches a punt and looks upfield at what is coming his way. I had to crop this quite a bit
48843566-L.jpg

Thanks for looking -

Comments

• Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    That expression on the last one in pricelessrolleyes1.gifthumb.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    Yeah, I think I'd have a similar look seeing linebackers running full speed at me! Takes a certain kind of person to be a punt returner... :crazy lol3.gif
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    These look good considering your position in the stands. Looks like pretty good seats. I would play around with some crops and see what you can extract. You might be surprised how much you can crop a 20D file. That last one is mint.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Those turned out great considering all the obstacles you were facing. thumb.gif
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    48680945-M.jpg
    This one would be cool if you could get closer ( I know you are hindered by the lens and your seat) but I love number 88 doing the touchdown and the guys slapping helmets in the background.

48843566-L.jpg
    nice facial expersions....these are always the ones I find when I get back to my laptop and why would shouldnt chimp on the field!!!

hehe I dunno if i would consider me a pro but sure clap.gif
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Thanks for the comments, maybe I'll try some major cropping on a few to isolate the action a bit when I get a chance. I was in row 9, so you can't get much closer seat-wise. Next time maybe lens-wise I will. :D Or maybe I'll just get one of these cool red vests :uhoh 200mm would be fine from there!

48681793-S.jpg

As I said I had a blast, and I really learned a lot about my new camera too. Thanks to all of you for your advice and encouragement. (And yes, Winger, you are a pro.)