Options

Opening Menu Choices in new tab

kimbomackimbomac Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
edited February 24, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I have a menu set up with all links set to open in a new tab, yet this does not seem to work for me.

It's on this page:
http://www.featurephotography.net/Kimbomac/Friends

In the menu setup of all my friends' links, I have them all set to open in a new tab, yet that doesn't work at all, and they all open in the same tab as my own website, which I don't want to happen.

(In case it has anything to do with it, the menu items at the top of the page which are set for the whole site, are set to NOT open a new tab. But they really shouldn't be related, I wouldn't have thought...)

Anyone have any ideas what I may be doing wrong?
Kimbomac

(FeaturePhotography.net)

Comments

• Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2014
    kimbomac wrote: »
    I have a menu set up with all links set to open in a new tab, yet this does not seem to work for me.

It's on this page:

In the menu setup of all my friends' links, I have them all set to open in a new tab, yet that doesn't work at all, and they all open in the same tab as my own website, which I don't want to happen.

(In case it has anything to do with it, the menu items at the top of the page which are set for the whole site, are set to NOT open a new tab. But they really shouldn't be related, I wouldn't have thought...)

Anyone have any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

I can't answer the question, but I'm slightly in awe of your site. Do I see that you have your main links set to completely different smugmug accounts? (different .coms).
    And, at this one, is this site unveiled? It looks like "no" because - well, how did you get gallery descriptions on the page?
    http://www.youngjacs.smugmug.com/

I wonder if the not opening in another tab has to do with that the links go to completely different sites.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,244 moderator
    edited January 9, 2014

That sounds really odd.

What happens if you put the same links in an HTML block as <a href=s including the target="_blank" notation? Does that work properly? That might be a workaround if you can't get the open in a new tab to work as you currently have it coded.

It seems like you really need feedback from smug as to whether what you are doing should work. It seems (to me) like it should since the two menu content elements aren't related.

--- Denise
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2014
    I can't seem to find the page anymore. Did you perhaps rename, move or delete the page in question?
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2014
    Apologies, yes, I did rename the page.

And also, without changing anything except to make the menu items appear as Regular instead of Capitals, it now appears to work just fine! All the links open in new tabs. Not sure whether it's been fixed, or whether I did something to make it so, but I really didn't think I had.

So, thanks to Smugmug if it's been fixed.

To ChancyRat
    And, at this one, is this site unveiled? It looks like "no" because - well, how did you get gallery descriptions on the page?
    http://www.youngjacs.smugmug.com/

That's one of my friends' sites, and no, she hasn't unveiled to the new Smugmug yet.

Do I see that you have your main links set to completely different smugmug accounts? (different .coms)

I'm not sure what you mean here, because my site only has one URL (Featurephotography.net). Those links on that page are to my friends' sites. They all have their own URLs.

I hope you weren't all looking at that page yesterday while I was playing around with it. I must have rearranged the elements on the page a dozen times till I got it the way I think looks best now.

I am going to see whether I can 'break' it again by putting it back how it was yesterday to find out whether there are peculiar circumstances where the links won't open in a new window.

But in any event, it is working fine now.

Thanks all for the input.
    Kimbomac

(FeaturePhotography.net)
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2014
    Ah! I found that I also changed the menu from Accordian to Vertical Bar.

When the menu is an Accordian menu, the items won't open up in a new tab as specified. But when it's set up as a Vertical Bar menu, it works fine.

Is that an intentional 'undocumented feature'?
    Kimbomac

(FeaturePhotography.net)
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2014
    Ah! I found that I also changed the menu from Accordian to Vertical Bar.

When the menu is an Accordian menu, the items won't open up in a new tab as specified. But when it's set up as a Vertical Bar menu, it works fine.
    I can reproduce what you describe and passed it on to our QA team for further investigation. This might be a bug specific to the Accordion layout as it works fine in other layout settings.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2014
    Excellent, thank you. I figured it was something with Accordian, because the others do work fine.
    Kimbomac

(FeaturePhotography.net)
  • Options
    snakeey11snakeey11 Registered Users Posts: 88 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 24, 2014
    FYI everyone, this issue was identified and fixed late last week, please let us know if you continue to see any issues.

-Mike
    SmugMug Sorcerer
    (and an avid landscape photographer - view my website)