Options

Nav bar open to gallery

dclphotodclphoto Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
edited January 10, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
I have a gallery titled "Shoots" with three pages inside this gallery (Families, Special Delivery, Seniors). My nav bar has a "Shoots" option. In the past, the nav bar title "Shoots" would open the gallery titled "Shoots" and the three thumbnails for the pages would be displayed for further navigation per the viewer.

Now, When "Shoots" is clicked on the nav bar, nothing displays. I am suspecting this is because it is a Gallery and not a Page? Is there a way to have the good 'ol Gallery display again?

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited January 9, 2014
    dclphoto wrote: »
    I have a gallery titled "Shoots" with three pages inside this gallery (Families, Special Delivery, Seniors). My nav bar has a "Shoots" option. In the past, the nav bar title "Shoots" would open the gallery titled "Shoots" and the three thumbnails for the pages would be displayed for further navigation per the viewer.

Now, When "Shoots" is clicked on the nav bar, nothing displays. I am suspecting this is because it is a Gallery and not a Page? Is there a way to have the good 'ol Gallery display again?
    I'm not sure I understand your setup.

Galleries contain photos - they do not contain pages or folders. Is "Shoots" the name of a folder? A page? Is it unlisted?

What does "Shoots" open? If you expect to see galleries inside of Shoots, make sure that page includes a content block to show galleries. Probably best if you drag in a Galleries, Folders, and Pages block.

--- Denise
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2014
    I'm not sure I understand either. But, you could have the organizational structure in different ways:

Folder named Shoots -> 3 galleries inside the folder (Families, Special Delivery, Seniors)

Page or Gallery that you call Shoots -> 3 Gallery Blocks you add (that you link to Families, Special Delivery, Seniors)

Then, in your navigation menu, you manually set each link to go to the right URL.

New SM lets you mess with the organization in very significant ways.

I have found that it's better for me if I start with the site organization and keep it "right", so that my Menu links can mirror that.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2014
    I may be confusing myself (In fact Im sure of it) and everyone else along with me, so I apologize for that. I think my container titled Shoots is a folder that has 3 galleries in it? I want my nav bar tab titled Shoots to go to the gallery titled Shoots. There, I want it to display the 3 galleries' thumbnails where viewers can choose to view whichever one they want. (I do not want a separate tab for each gallery).

I will attach a pic of my organization structure screen in case this helps you understand what I am trying to create in order to help me:
    http://dclphoto.smugmug.com/photos/i-v4M7Ghz/0/XL/i-v4M7Ghz-XL.png

And here is a pic of the Legacy version of the tab I am trying to acheive in the new sm layout:
    http://dclphoto.smugmug.com/photos/i-N8XT7CN/0/XL/i-N8XT7CN-XL.png

(Side note to SM: It would be nice if while in the folder organization screen, we could rest the cursor over a folder, gallery or page the word "folder" "gallery" or "page" would pop up at the cursor. As it is now, the title of whatever container pops up when the cursor goes over it. We already know what we titled our container, but I think there are many others beside me who get the structure confused and having the pop up remind us what we are working with might help)

Maybe I need to change my structure? I just thought since it displayed this way in legacy, I could accomplish it here too? Thanks for sticking with me on this....
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited January 10, 2014
    dclphoto wrote: »
    I may be confusing myself (In fact Im sure of it) and everyone else along with me, so I apologize for that. I think my container titled Shoots is a folder that has 3 galleries in it? I want my nav bar tab titled Shoots to go to the gallery titled Shoots. There, I want it to display the 3 galleries' thumbnails where viewers can choose to view whichever one they want. (I do not want a separate tab for each gallery).
    That's exactly how it should work. If you are clicking on the folder Shoots and not seeing the three galleries in it I suspect that you do not have a pages, folders, and galleries entry for folders.

Go into customization, select all folders. You should see at least a folders and a galleries block on that page. You may also want a pages block. If you don't see that structure you will need to drag in a content block, probably a pages, folders, and galleries block.

Also, for the galleries to show in the folder they must be public. I suspect they are public since this is working for you in Legacy.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2014
    Yes! Thanks Denise! I didnt realize I had to drag in a Galleries block. I thought is was all done in the "Organize" screen. Thank you!