More Ali in the Snow

binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
edited December 19, 2005 in People
i touched up another shot of ali, i really like this one. i played with the exposure, cleaned up the background, touched up the eyes, and did my lab thing. i'm super satisfied with the end product. please tell me what you think.

original:
47678563-L-1.jpg

edited:
48867432-L.jpg

thanks for your time!

Comments

• coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    Excellent! The face and the eyes are awesome. The edited version is kind odd though, it seems like my mind wants to know WHY there's wind blowing her hair, in the nothingness environment of white. Still quite striking though, nice work. :D

And don't you just hate how you can never edit around all those individual hairs? It makes me sad, whenever I have to erase them.ne_nau.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    I think you did a real good job on the brightening up of the picture however I think you should leave the background of the original and just overexpose the snow a little bit. I think it gives a better reason of why she looks chilled and why her hair is moving. Otherwise I think the pose looks forced unless you know that she is sitting on a pile of snow! Great pose though! thumb.gif
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    thanks to the alaskans!

when i pushed the exposure up, all you could see were splotches of brown on the clean white. it really looked awful imo. i think i like the way she looks in a white abyss. i'll see if i can play around with the background. i really appreciate the advice, thanks! keep em coming!
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    NP! :)

I could see where the blotches would come out. Thats a bit of a bummer. It does look pretty good in the abyss.

See what happens when you post something with snow? The Alaskans cant help but commment! Guess I could have said with pretty ladies in them but hey...we got ladies here to...we just have to dig them out of the igloo's first. rolleyes1.gif

BTW I was wondering what you did to the picture to bring out the color and clarity on her clothes. It looks really well done!
    edited December 19, 2005
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    BTW I was wondering what you did to the picture to bring out the color and clarity on her clothes. It looks really well done!

thanks. first thing i did was raise the exposure in photoshop cs 2, that thing has recovered so many shots for me. that made everything brighter. i didn't this time, but sometimes i play with the offset and gamma in the exposure tool.

adjusting the curves in LAB is what really gives this picture the pop in the color and clarity. i also sharpen the L channel. if you really want, i can go into more detail.
    edited December 19, 2005
    i hate bumping a thread but i'm kinda confused right now. i got 2 comments from 2 alaskans within about 30 minutes of posting this thread, but nobody else commented. ne_nau.gif

i really want to know what people think of this picture, is it amazing, is it garbage, or where is it in between?

pretty please help me!
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    Since you asked it certainly isn't garbage but not your best either. I think it would helpful if you retained some of the snow detail which would be very easy to do by just fixing the Wb of the original. I tried using the curves adjustment and the white eyedropper. It seemed to work...just my 2 cents
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 19, 2005
    i think the problem is that the white abyss is too abyss-like for her pose. If it were a closer crop of her face, it would work, but her arm and leg position make her look weird with no reference.

make sense?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    Her skin looks a bit yellow. That's all I have to say... because you know how much I love your stuff already.
    edited December 19, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    i think the problem is that the white abyss is too abyss-like for her pose. If it were a closer crop of her face, it would work, but her arm and leg position make her look weird with no reference.

make sense?
    that made a lot of sense, thanks. now i look at it in a slightly different way. before i had thought that it was obviously snow, but now i really see what you're all saying. i'm gonna try to put some detail back in the snow.

thanks a lot!