A few submission ideas :D

icicles-L.jpg

encased-L.jpg

frozen-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2014
    Both #1 and #2 say something strong about the weather, whereas number 3 is more of a beautiful still image instead of a photo about weather.

#1 technique is very good - good light and depth of field. I like the lines leading in one direction, although I think I would prefer to see all of the longer icicles. This is my favorite.

# 2 Lighting and color is great. Composition - I would like to see a tighter crop or see the top left part more. Background compliments the image nicely.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2014
    I really like #1 and #2...I can't really tell what #3 is. I wish the icicles were't cut off at the bottom of #1 and that more were in focus, I think I like #2 better--I like the color and comp.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited January 13, 2014
    I am also a fan of 1 and 2. Both are very effective images for the "weather" theme. I like the b/w treatment of #1 and the diagonal slant of the icicles. The second shot pulls me into it more. I like the contrast of the warm tones with the ice coating these branches and the snow/ice on the ground.
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 14, 2014
    #1 definitely shows that its cold outside and had some wind at some point in time. My only nit with this image is that it is too close of a crop. I would have liked to see the end of the icicles. Was there water dripping from them?
    #2 is my absolute favorite of all the images posted here. I like the textured wall with the shadows. I can still get an idea that the weather is cold and yet the sun is out too. I think that this image is strong enough to cover the weather theme of being a sudden deep freeze of rain. kudos.
    #3 although this is a very effective close up of a plant that was blasted with sudden drop in temperature, its not the strongest on the theme.
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2014
    In #2 I like the way the ice follows the form of the twigs. I'm glad you did not take the color out of it - that makes it a warmer cold (that probably doesn't make absolute sense, but that's the best I can do - it shows that the ice is only temporary). They are all beautiful, but #2 is my favorite.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    PhotoaddictPhotoaddict Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    I'm going with Gretchen on this one. #2 draws me in with the warm colors in contrast to the cold of the ice. Great shot and PP. Terrific set.
    "There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2014
    I'm going with #2.

I like the subject of #1, and the tonal range in the B&W conversion is great, but the tight crop and cut off of the icicles on the bottom is too constraining for it to work well with me.

The third one also suffers from a tight crop and a subject that sits somewhere between abstract and representational. I'm not sure what I looking at... and don't really know if i should be.

#2 is also tightly cropped, but light, colors and shadows holds my interest.

All are beautifully photographed and processed.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    BSGreenBSGreen Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2014
    Just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to offer your input!