Options

Is there a way to deselect the "require cropping" option by default?

amf digital mediaamf digital media Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited January 16, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
Is there a way to deselect the "require cropping" option by default in the cart process? I think having to crop an image could be potential fumbling point for users, and aside from that, I'd prefer to have my photos printed in the aspect ratio I intended. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2014
    Turn of the sizes that require cropping from appearing in your cart. By not setting prices on the aspect ratio that does not work for your photo, then it wont be for sale.
  • Options
    amf digital mediaamf digital media Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2014
    jwashburn wrote: »
    Turn of the sizes that require cropping from appearing in your cart. By not setting prices on the aspect ratio that does not work for your photo, then it wont be for sale.

That would be great assuming I shot everything in the same aspect ratio, but that's not the case. As it stands now, I only have a Portfolio plan - not a Business - so I can't manage per folder prices/options, let alone per image.

It seems like the "Require Cropping" option should be deselected by default, as the cart process is already confusing enough for most users.
  • Options
    jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2014
    That would be great assuming I shot everything in the same aspect ratio, but that's not the case. As it stands now, I only have a Portfolio plan - not a Business - so I can't manage per folder prices/options, let alone per image.

It seems like the "Require Cropping" option should be deselected by default, as the cart process is already confusing enough for most users.

That would be nearly impossible to program for. As you said you dont shoot everything in same aspect ratio. Also people crop before uploading, so it might not fit ANY standard aspect ratio.

There would have to be a way to figure out what size your image is, what options would then fit to show the client on checkout. Even then you would still have stuff that doesnt fit anything.
  • Options
    GolfnutGolfnut Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    One method to workaround this cropping problem (which I did not like either) is to create a different pricelist for each crop. For example, one pricelist for 3:2, one for 3:1, one for 2:1, one for 1:1. Each pricelist will only include the sizes that fit that aspect ratio. Then on each gallery, "Customize/Set Prices" choose 3:2 as your default pricelist (or whatever aspect ratio is the most common) and then assign the other pricelists for the images that are not 3:2.

I have done this on my site and yes, it is a bit of work; but at least when the customer gets to the checkout, there is no cropping.

Charles
    For example: www.arrowphotos.com/Colorado/Denver
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited January 16, 2014
    Golfnut wrote: »
    One method to workaround this cropping problem (which I did not like either) is to create a different pricelist for each crop.
    That's only available for Business accounts. The OP has a Portfolio account which allows only a single active pricelist.

--- Denise
  • Options
    GolfnutGolfnut Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    That's only available for Business accounts. The OP has a Portfolio account which allows only a single active pricelist.

--- Denise

Ah, I understand. Sorry about that.
    Charles