Options

#2 OOCZ Rain

grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,946 Major grins
edited January 20, 2014 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've been sick since after Xmas with a bad cough. I have been out very little. So today I went to Respiratory Therapy and it is rainy and awful. I got a few photos and played around a little with them

So here is the result

I was trying to get the rain on the windshield and the windshield wipers but Bob had it on intermittant and I always missed them. But I think you can get the idea that it is raining

IMG_1465e.JPG

2. When I got home I tried to take a photo of the rain coming down the downspout
IMG_1466.JPG

and I edited it like this, but I don't know if I like it or not.

IMG_1466e.JPG

Then I saw that Bob left a wet footprint on the porch and so I took a photo of that. No editing seems to make this any 'wetter', but I kind of like this one.
IMG_1467e.JPG

The last one I took from the upstairs window, which has a plastic storm window that blurs the photo a bit. I edited this one somewhat too.

IMG_1471e.JPG
“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Comments

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 14, 2014
    So glad you got to get out and try!

#1 is my absolute favorite out of all the images in this set. It definitely shows the weather and the blurred out portions on the windshield are perfect in my opinion. Really I like this image!
    #2 I see where you were trying to go with this, but I think it would have been better to have the water in focus rather than the pour spout itself.
    #3 this is over done on the process in my opinion, although it does make me slightly dizzy with the motion blur! ;)
    #4 an interesting perspective on weather, but not the strongest image for the challenge.
    #5 the red seems a bit over saturated, however I am also not seeing the weather in this shot.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2014
    THank you for the perspective. When I downloaded the photos I played around for a good hour with post processing the images - I tried boosting, softening, focal zoom, infrared, Orton-ish, HDR-ish, posterize, pencil sketch, inverted colors, focal B&W, darkening, lightening, vignette - just about everything that I had available. All of the images except the first one of #2 have been edited.

I was surprised at how well #1 came out. I do like it. My husband's comment after I took the photo was that the woman on the right had the car in reverse and was getting out of it. He didn't think this was a good idea. We didn't see if there were any untoward consequences.

#2 was taken on the way into the house when I came back from my therapy. #3 was the editing of that - I tried the HDR thing and some other post processing but I don't really like it as well.
    #5 - the porch roof is a tin roof painted red. The roof is only shiny because it is wet. Otherwise it is kind of Rustoleum color. The tree trunks are wet, but it is hard to take a photo that shows the rain because the plastic is not completely clear so it softens the focus. I did try post processing with this one also, and I like the photo, but I agree that it doesn't show weather very well.

I thought #4 was a little different way of looking at weather, but I couldn't get the footprint to look wet, as opposed to snowy or muddy or something.
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited January 15, 2014
    I really like your first shot in this set!
  • Options
    Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    Hi GramdmaR

I really like your first shot too ... well imagined, seen and taken and conveys real atmosphere (no pun intended!). I'm a big fan of wide crops and I think it works really well in this situation.

A very minor suggestion to explore if you feel inclined and have the scope to do so.
    I would look to lift the top edge of the crop a fraction to have complete inclusion of the telegraph / power pole top left, and the right edge also out a fraction so the tail light is not sitting on the frame edge. I'm only talking a fraction here, but also conscious here that doing so you may bring other "unwanteds" onto the frame edges.

Alan.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2014
    I could do the top out higher, but I don't think I can do on the right very well because the photo was slightly crooked and when I straighten it I can't get the right edge out any more. I'm not sure that the extra part of the power pole really helps the picture

This is the original of that photo and the whole top of the pole isn't in it - it still sticks up a bit out of the picture

originalIMG_1465.JPG
  • Options
    Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    Yup, having seen that, I retract my comments and think you have it right the way it is.

Alan.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2014
    OK - thanks anyway because it is something to keep in mind for the future.

Although when I'm taking photos from the car (with Bob driving) I don't often have a lot of time to set up shots. He would slow down if I asked but I don't want to ask unless it is really important.
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2014
    I also like #1. The weather is front and center and the lights are effective parts of the composition. It does look to be a little tilted down to the left. I might try using a vertical reference on one of the poles to straighten it.

BTW, I like the color/saturation process between the original and the final version.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2014
    Thank you. I have tried using the poles, but I don't think they are all exactly vertical :(