Options

OOYCZ #2 Weather

PhotoaddictPhotoaddict Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited January 20, 2014 in The Dgrin Challenges
1. The only PP quirk I used here was to remove the Yellow in LR as I was processing to give it the feel of being cold.
11841786184_3bd07df8bc_c.jpg
DSC_5423 by Danny M. Long, on Flickr

2. Here I processed this one normally in LR using the WB to make the chill come through.

11830610924_1427ef316e_c.jpg
DSC_5446 by Danny M. Long, on Flickr

3. This one I tone mapped to give it that extra pop.

11830992736_35eef70194_c.jpg
DSC_5374 by Danny M. Long, on Flickr

4. This I processed normally even though all these were taken on the same day at around the same time. This shows best what NE Alabama looks like at 9* or -12*C

11830267923_f41f4fc8ae_c.jpg
What 9*F or -12*C looks like in Alabama by Danny M. Long, on Flickr
"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
Ansel Adams

Comments

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 15, 2014
    #1 and #3 show the extreme of the weather. #1 doesn't hold my interest much (might be that I am from Alaska and a frozen creek is not much to look at), With #3 being the most dramatic of this set of images and done extremely well. #2 and #4 are nicely done, however lack the really cold factor (it could be 50f degrees in those pictures, no way of knowing it was colder outside of you saying so) and although they do show that its a clear sunny day, they really are ordinary. Of those two, #2 has a little more interest because of the way you caught the solar flares and spots to show it was a bright day. Kudos!
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2014
    Thanks Jag. It's really hard to show Winter and cold here when Photo #4 is how it looks on cold days. I've been here 12 years now and we've had snow once (that actually stuck). Lasted 2 days I think. Mostly it rains or it's sunny, and weirdly enough the rain usually warms things up. Go figure that's living in the south for you.
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2014
    5. this is another shot taken same day, as this is the coldest weather we've had so far , and none of the rainstorms have been in the least bit interesting Photographically. Was planning my first attempt at star trails this month, but cloudy nights have thwarted me so far. Here if you look you can tell the water is frozen partly over.

11830188235_7af89ca42f_b.jpg
    DSC_5442 by Danny M. Long, on Flickr
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    I like the idea of #1 although I can't tell if that is water or ice. It doesn't look absolutely like either one of them. If it is water, it is milky. If it is ice it is bluer in the sunny spots than I would expect. #3 looks really spooky and unreal.

#5 I am not enough of a photographer to know if the lens reflections (what do you call those?) are acceptable for what we are aiming for in showing weather. I really like they tree in the left side of this photo and if I were doing it I would be tempted to crop the left side vertical to show the backlighted branches.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited January 17, 2014
    Kingdom Seeker, you have some great images here! As I understand it though, you will need to post your images in a new thread instead of the one photoaddict started. This will make it easier for people to find your images and give input on them. :)
  • Options
    KingdomSeekerKingdomSeeker Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2014
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Kingdom Seeker, you have some great images here! As I understand it though, you will need to post your images in a new thread instead of the one photoaddict started. This will make it easier for people to find your images and give input on them. :)

Thank you for correcting me.
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited January 17, 2014
    actually, #5 I can relate to as being cold. I know days like that and the composition of #5 is better (IMO) than #2 and #4. Its clear out with very few layer of clouds. The bare brown starkness of the trees and blue sky give it just enough for the composition to say it could be pretty cold. The other two (2 and 4) seem to have a little green in some of the areas of bushes and trees. They feel like they could be much warmer and not so cold.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2014
    I am drawn to #1, #2 and #3 in this series. The first and third definitely communicate freezing temperatures. The second, a sunny day. For this challenge, #3 is probably my favorite. I'm not sure that you need to emphasize the blue tint to communicate cold in the first and third.

I like the juxtaposition of the green foliage and the frozen river in #1. (We see that in Pennsylvania but it is usually azalea and rhodendron leaves - and evergreens.) I find myself wondering what #1 might look like with more natural colors?

#5 is another lovely, scenic shot but doesn't communicate cold to me as it is hard to see the ice on the river.

Hope this is helpful!

Gretchen
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2014
    I am drawn to #1, #2 and #3 in this series. The first and third definitely communicate freezing temperatures. The second, a sunny day. For this challenge, #3 is probably my favorite. I'm not sure that you need to emphasize the blue tint to communicate cold in the first and third.

I like the juxtaposition of the green foliage and the frozen river in #1. (We see that in Pennsylvania but it is usually azalea and rhodendron leaves - and evergreens.) I find myself wondering what #1 might look like with more natural colors?

#5 is another lovely, scenic shot but doesn't communicate cold to me as it is hard to see the ice on the river.

Hope this is helpful!

Gretchen

your wish....

DSC_5374.jpg

DSC_5423.jpg
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2014
    Thank you for sharing the originals of these. Your post processing (tone mapping) of #3 strikes me as a very effective way to make this pop and emphasizes the textures nicely. I think I am drawn most to this one and #5. I still like #1 and lean toward your original post-processing (perhaps with the ice a little whiter or lighter for contrast?) but think #3 and #5 are stronger for this challenge.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2014
    Thank you for sharing the originals of these. Your post processing (tone mapping) of #3 strikes me as a very effective way to make this pop and emphasizes the textures nicely. I think I am drawn most to this one and #5. I still like #1 and lean toward your original post-processing (perhaps with the ice a little whiter or lighter for contrast?) but think #3 and #5 are stronger for this challenge.

Thank you very much.
    Ansel Adams
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2014
    For me, the cold comes through most in #5 and #1. The PP'ed blue cast in #1 doesn't quite work for me, though. I don't usually like the kind of flare in #5, but in this case I think it's part of conveying the cold. I might work at cloning out the small flare spot right in the center of the image at mid tree line.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug