Options

I do not have "sm-user-ui" class on <html> tag

James LyallJames Lyall Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
edited January 15, 2014 in SmugMug Support
It would appear that my SmugMug website is missing the "sm-user-ui" class on the <html> tag.
If I use the "sm-user-ui" prefix, my CSS does not work. If I omit the prefix, the CSS does work.
This came to light with the new SmugMug when I started using Nicholas Sherlock's customisations.
I found that they did not work unless I stripped out all of the "sm-user-ui" code.
Last September I posted about this problem:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240656
and again recently:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=244455
Nobody has come up with a solution. One subscriber (Keith 'mklabove') described the same problem in my first posting.

Please can you help with this worrying problem?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2014
    Hi James,
    This seems to be connected to the theme you're using. You're using the SmugMug default theme (SmugMug dark) with no changes and instead of the sm-user-ui class, that results in the sm-nui class added to your site.
    If you were to create a theme of your own (simply by making a change to the default or picking a different theme, it should change the class to the sm-user-ui class.

From what I can tell, only the theme chosen has any influence on that class.

To use code that includes sm-user-ui, you could just try replacing that with sm-nui. Alternatively, you just use the wrench button on the default theme and save it as a new theme by entering your own name. That should also change the class.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2014
    That's pretty awkward, as the official advice from Smugocity is to use .sm-user-ui in your CSS in order to make your CSS rules more specific than the SmugMug default ones:

http://www.smugocity.com/FAQ/Important

That means that such recommended code definitely won't work in the situation you've described. Maybe this is something that could be fixed?
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2014
    This seems to be connected to the theme you're using. You're using the SmugMug default theme (SmugMug dark) with no changes and instead of the sm-user-ui class, that results in the sm-nui class added to your site.
    Thank you for the explanation. It seems crazy to me that using the default theme should have wrought so much havock and wasted so much of my time in trying to get CSS to work. SmugMug might have given a warning about this. Not your fault, I know. I am grateful to you for the solution.
    Use the wrench button on the default theme and save it as a new theme by entering your own name. That should also change the class.
    Indeed, it has. Now I shall have to edit all my existing CSS to conform with the revised position!!
    Kind regards,
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2014
    Now I shall have to edit all my existing CSS to conform with the revised position!
    Just to report that CSS now revised and site is at last working correctly.clap.gif

My thanks are due to both Sebastian and Nicholas.