Options

pasting folders!

yooperdooperyooperdooper Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited January 16, 2014 in SmugMug Support
i had been copying and pasting files(pictures)into new folders with good success until i would get the following error message:"the file name is too long for the destination folder,you can shorten the file name &try again or try a location that has a shorter path".i don't know what they mean.any ideas?thanks

Comments

• Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2014
    i had been copying and pasting files(pictures)into new folders with good success until i would get the following error message:"the file name is too long for the destination folder,you can shorten the file name &try again or try a location that has a shorter path".i don't know what they mean.any ideas?thanks

I'm not an expert but sometimes a file's (photo/image/document, etc.) name cannot exceed a certain number of characters per the rules of the program. And sometimes the URL + the file name cannot exceed a certain number of (combined) characters.

Have you tried re-naming your files to shorten their names, and then uploading?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    If you still have an issue, I'd recommend that you contact the HelpDesk with detailed steps you're taking and on what specific page you're seeing an issue. Also include what browser version and operating system you're using.
    It would also be helpful if you could include a screenshot your full screen showing the issue. Here's how you can take a screenshot.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero