Options

And again on hompage layout

HarryPutnamHarryPutnam Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited January 17, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I'm probably beginning to wear out my welcome here...and really do appreciate all the handholding and patience.

On my home page... (partial screen grab below) I'd like to remove the unnecessary space that is left from where I have removed the 'title' and 'menu' blocks. Indicated below by the expansive arrows

AA_smugRemoveSpaceHomepage.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2014
    There are never too many questions. (Offered by me who asked a million of them when I was behind the scenes customizing my site and trying to get to the point of unveiling.)

What happens if you go into Customize and click the triangle for dimensions (on the block, top left corner, next to wrench for settings), and see if there is a large top margin?

Or, what other type of content block is above that gallery block (or folder block, or whatever it is)? If there is a block of some sort, does it have top or bottom margins you can tweak?
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2014
    If that center set of gallery thumbnails is the default locked Smugmug block, then that is probably a different issue altogether.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2014
    And again on hompage layout
    I'm probably beginning to wear out my welcome here...and really do appreciate all the handholding and patience.

On my home page... (partial screen grab below) I'd like to remove the unnecessary space that is left from where I have removed the 'title' and 'menu' blocks. Indicated below by the expansive arrows

AA_smugRemoveSpaceHomepage.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    There are never too many questions. (Offered by me who asked a million of them when I was behind the scenes customizing my site and trying to get to the point of unveiling.)

What happens if you go into Customize and click the triangle for dimensions (on the block, top left corner, next to wrench for settings), and see if there is a large top margin?

Or, what other type of content block is above that gallery block (or folder block, or whatever it is)? If there is a block of some sort, does it have top or bottom margins you can tweak?

scratch this quoted area ... I guess I can only attach one image at a time. I'll put the other one in a new response.
    SCRATCH on
    If I chose customize/entire site/ layout:

The image below shows the only thing that can be lit up by hovering (Its the area at the bottom where
    one would have social icons if wanted)
    SCRATCH off
    If I chose customize / homepage / layout:

The only thing that will light up is shown in the second image... (Its the gallery section )

Attachment not found.

HomePageLayoutLightup.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2014
    There is only one image attached to your post. In it, the top brighter blue bar, which is at the top of the block, left top corner has a triangle and a wrench.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2014
    Your mouse hand is hovering on the bright blue bar.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2014
    I may not be clear. If you have a large top margin for that block, you can reduce it to move it up on the page.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2014
    scratch this quoted area ... I guess I can only attach one image at a time. I'll put the other one in a new response.

If I chose customize / Entire site / layout:

The only thing that will light up is shown in the second image... (Its the area at the bottom where
    one would put social icons

EntireSiteLayoutLightup.jpg )
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    There is only one image attached to your post. In it, the top brighter blue bar, which is at the top of the block, left top corner has a triangle and a wrench.

Thanks,

Clicking that triange shows 12 px for all margins listed so I think it is referring to the distance between whats outlined in blue and the block above which does not light up on either 'entire site' or 'homepage'

I think that block is what is left when I've removed the title and menu blocks from Entire site. At least I did do that, and it was in that area.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2014
    What is that block on your entire site - a social icons block? If you don't want to turn on the social icons, you should probably delete the block entirely.
    Do you have the home page set to be separate from the entire site? You may want that: while in Customize, click Settings at the top on the green bar, and set homepage to be separate.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2014
    The one thing about making the home page separate, that causes me more work, is that I have a top navigation menu on both the home page and the entire site. I had to replicate the entire menu structure twice as a result. And any changes I make in the future will require me to edit the menu twice again.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2014
    Is that top space that you would like to go away, space for a header section? Does it offer a space where you can drop blocks?
  • Options
    Les DoerflerLes Doerfler Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2014
    SCRATCH on

SCRATCH off
    If I chose customize / homepage / layout:

The only thing that will light up is shown in the second image... (Its the gallery section )

Attachment not found.

HomePageLayoutLightup.jpg

Harry, in your screen shot for your homepage I see that the Top Margin is set for 72px. Have you tried setting that to 0px?

I set up my site to emulate what you are going for and my content bumps right up to the top of the page, so it should work.