48909367-M.jpg

48899007-M.jpg

All taken with 300F4 uncropped

Comments

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    gsgary wrote:
    Not had much experience with MX any help much appreciated
    I don't completely have the hang of jumps yet, but I've had the most luck at smaller focal lengths, like 100mm and under. I know a guy who usually shoots his 24-70/2.8 for the jumps.

I would try to get the shot with the front wheel high, rather than low. A few of your shots had the bike already descending. A flash helps a lot because you are usually shooting into shadow (i.e. the underside of the bike), but your day looked over-cast which helps as well. Shorter focal lengths help your flash as well.

The hardest thing about jumps is the timing. It can be hard to get yourself in a position where you can see the approach and still have a nice vantage to photograph from. If you can't see them coming, makes it hard to get the shot. Therefore I've personally had better luck at profile jumps, rather than head-on jumps. (but head-on jumps do look nice) Also the riders will jump to varying heights, making it hard to follow them.

Lastly, if shooting head-on, be careful... landings sometimes go bad. Don't get in the path.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    I don't completely have the hang of jumps yet, but I've had the most luck at smaller focal lengths, like 100mm and under. I know a guy who usually shoots his 24-70/2.8 for the jumps.

I would try to get the shot with the front wheel high, rather than low. A few of your shots had the bike already descending. A flash helps a lot because you are usually shooting into shadow (i.e. the underside of the bike), but your day looked over-cast which helps as well. Shorter focal lengths help your flash as well.

The hardest thing about jumps is the timing. It can be hard to get yourself in a position where you can see the approach and still have a nice vantage to photograph from. If you can't see them coming, makes it hard to get the shot. Therefore I've personally had better luck at profile jumps, rather than head-on jumps. (but head-on jumps do look nice) Also the riders will jump to varying heights, making it hard to follow them.

Lastly, if shooting head-on, be careful... landings sometimes go bad. Don't get in the path.

Thanks Bill
    Just gone through some more and really like these, do you think these are better
    48763426-M.jpg

48763422-M.jpg

48898987-M.jpg

48899007-M.jpg
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    gsgary wrote:
    Thanks Bill
    Just gone through some more and really like these, do you think these are better
    The last two are because the bike is completely in sky. The first two, though the bike is in the air, is backgrounded by dirt. Which makes a difference on the impact.

Jump shots, maybe there is a trick I haven't learned yet. Dunno. They seem extremely reactionary, moreso than typical sports shots. Unpredictable (is he going to show-boat this jump or not? jump high or low?), short-lived. But I believe the jump shots are the big sellers to the MX crowd.

My best composition for selling has been a jump at a particular track that has a large American flag in the background.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited December 19, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    The last two are because the bike is completely in sky. The first two, though the bike is in the air, is backgrounded by dirt. Which makes a difference on the impact.

Jump shots, maybe there is a trick I haven't learned yet. Dunno. They seem extremely reactionary, moreso than typical sports shots. Unpredictable (is he going to show-boat this jump or not? jump high or low?), short-lived. But I believe the jump shots are the big sellers to the MX crowd.

My best composition for selling has been a jump at a particular track that has a large American flag in the background.
    Next time i go i will look for the background first see if that helps
    Tanks
    Bill
    edited December 19, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:

Next time i go i will look for the background first see if that helps
    Thanks
    Bill
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 19, 2005
    My biggest comment was, I think the jumps need some reference. Just sky in the background makes them look weird.

This one is good:
    48898987-S.jpg

He may not be as high as some of the other probably are, but at least you can tell. And I agree, front wheel high guides your eye to a more dramatic event.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Se7enUKSe7enUK Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    It was nice and warm.... lol. Some good shots there Gary, I like No88 that works very well.
    edited December 20, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    My biggest comment was, I think the jumps need some reference. Just sky in the background makes them look weird.

This one is good:
    48898987-S.jpg

He may not be as high as some of the other probably are, but at least you can tell. And I agree, front wheel high guides your eye to a more dramatic event.

Yes i see what you mean i like this one, the high one's could probably do with a wider lens, when i get my MK2 and win the lottery:D
    edited December 20, 2005
    Se7enUK wrote:
    It was nice and warm.... lol. Some good shots there Gary, I like No88 that works very well.

Thanks Paul that is one of my favourite
  • DR MotardDR Motard Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    This one is good:
    48898987-S.jpg

+1 thumb.gif

This is my favorite picture. The dirt in the frame with sky below the bike sets this one apart from the rest.

-Drew
    edited December 20, 2005
    DR Motard wrote:
    +1 thumb.gif

This is my favorite picture. The dirt in the frame with sky below the bike sets this one apart from the rest.

-Drew

Thanks Drew
  • tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    DR Motard wrote:
    +1 thumb.gif

-Drew

I agree about including a little ground for perspective. Maybe just a tad more room on the left? cool shots.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
    edited December 20, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    I agree about including a little ground for perspective. Maybe just a tad more room on the left? cool shots.

I see what you mean give the bike somewhere to go
    Thanks
    Thomas
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    48898987-M.jpg

I also like this one the best . Good shooting.thumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited December 20, 2005
    ART SCOTT wrote:
    48898987-M.jpg

I also like this one the best . Good shooting.thumb.gif

Thankyou for the positive commentsthumb.gif