Options

Smugmug Gallery style display

HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
edited January 19, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
Hi -

I am finalizing my new site and need some help with the gallery display. I want to shift the whole photo display area in a Smugmug Style gallery to the left and enlarge the thumbnails if possible.I want the galley to look something like these as far as where the display is located on the page:

http://www.lamontphotography.com/Portfolio/A-walk-through-NYC-II
http://www.msabatini.com/Landscapes/Palouse-Region

I have been able to change a bit, but since the gallery block is locked for Smugmug content, I don't seem to have the controls necessary to move it. I understand I may need some CSS code, so hoping someone can help me with this.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited January 18, 2014
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2014
    Thanks, Denise. But these tweaks do not address my issue of wanting to move the whole photo display area in a Smugmug Style gallery to the left and enlarge the thumbnails if possible. Does anyone else know how to do this? It seems to be done in the websites I reverence in my OP.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2014
    HarlanBear wrote: »
    ...these tweaks do not address my issue of wanting to move the whole photo display area in a Smugmug Style gallery to the left and enlarge the thumbnails if possible. Does anyone else know how to do this?
    As far as I know you can't enlarge the thumbnails.

Have you tried adjusting the margins for All Galleries?
    > customize
    > customize site
    > all galleries
    > click the layout tab and change the side margins.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2014
    Thanks, Denise. Adjusting the side margins like you said made the overall placement be where I wanted it. But now I have more rows of thumbnails on the right than I would like. And more than was there before this adjustment, due, I guess to the right side margin. Is there a way to further adjust the right margin, or whatever, to reduce the number of rows of thumbs and let them carry over to the next page of thumbs for each gallery? There doesn't seem to be a separate adjustment for the right side of the galleries.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2014
    HarlanBear wrote: »
    Thanks, Denise. Adjusting the side margins like you said made the overall placement be where I wanted it. But now I have more rows of thumbnails on the right than I would like. And more than was there before this adjustment, due, I guess to the right side margin. Is there a way to further adjust the right margin, or whatever, to reduce the number of rows of thumbs and let them carry over to the next page of thumbs for each gallery? There doesn't seem to be a separate adjustment for the right side of the galleries.
    The number and size of thumbs is not in your control - once you changed the margins more room was available for the gallery. After the size of the large photo is determined the remaining space is used for thumbs.

You could try this CSS to move the thumbs to the right (after adjusting the numbers to suit you). I don't know what will happen if there isn't enough room in the browser window.
    .sm-gallery-tilesnav { margin-left: 50px;  }

For the most part I believe you will either need to settle for the automatically generated look of the style or you might consider changing your galleries to a different style.

--- Denise
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2014
    Note that if you have videos, only SM style works. :(
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2014
    The number and size of thumbs is not in your control - once you changed the margins more room was available for the gallery.

In addition to that... if you have a different browser window size or different screen size the number and size of thumbs will vary. So what you see in your browser may not match the visitors view of your galleries.