Options

Custom Domain

Loco AlvarezLoco Alvarez Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
edited January 31, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Hi
I am trying to change my custom domain, but I can't. I have already done the changes on the CNAME and A Record on the new domain. Do I have to de-activate the CNAME and A Record on the old domain??

Do I have to wait for the changes on the domain host to take effect? or what am I doing wrong?

Thank you for the help

Javier Alvarez

Comments

• Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2014
    www.javiereduardo.com is currently set with a CNAME of "javiereduardo.com", instead of a CNAME of domains.smugmug.com. If you have changed that already, I'm guessing that you need to wait for the new value to propagate before it will be usable.
  • Options
    sameoldsamsameoldsam Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2014
    I have also fixed my domain at the registrar with it pointing to smugmug but its not working for me either and go daddy said prob around an hour but could be up to 2 days. I just want to make sure I did it right. Anyway to double check so I don't wait another whole day to find out its wrong?
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2014
    You can use NSLookup from the command-line of Linux, Mac or Windows. For example, here is the result from the www.javiereduardo.com domain mentioned above:
    ~$ nslookup www.javiereduardo.com
    Server:		192.168.178.1
    Address:	192.168.178.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:	www.javiereduardo.com
    Address: 66.96.162.146

This says that according to my local DNS server (which can be a little out of date) the domain "www.javiereduardo.com" is currently set to use an A record of "66.96.162.146". In order to be used as a SmugMug domain, it should instead be set to use a CNAME of "domains.smugmug.com". A properly configured domain looks like this:
    ~$ nslookup www.moonriverphotography.com
    Server:		192.168.178.1
    Address:	192.168.178.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    www.moonriverphotography.com	canonical name = domains.smugmug.com.
    domains.smugmug.com	canonical name = domains.smugmug.com.mdc.edgesuite.net.
    domains.smugmug.com.mdc.edgesuite.net	canonical name = a1170.b.akamai.net.
    Name:	a1170.b.akamai.net
    Address: 202.124.127.105
    Name:	a1170.b.akamai.net
    Address: 202.124.127.106

The first line of the response is "www.moonriverphotography.com canonical name = domains.smugmug.com." which means that www.moonriverphotography.com is correctly set to use a CNAME (canonical name) of "domains.smugmug.com" like SmugMug's instructions require.

If you post your domain name, I can take a look at it for you using this tool. (Or you can email the SmugMug team with your GoDaddy credentials and they can log in and verify it is set up properly for you).