Options

Page Title of HOME PAGE - what am I doing wrong?

Lou GonzalezLou Gonzalez Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited January 22, 2014 in SmugMug Support
When I search for myself in Google, my page title shows as "Rochester NY Wedding Photographers":

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s354/sh/c91b353c-1b7f-40a6-837c-268c9b08d820/50e6cbda248715072cd6b3bf362855e1

But in my account setting I have it set to "Fernando Lou Gonzalez. Wedding Event Photographer, Rochester, NY."

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s354/sh/559be58b-196f-4c47-bbbd-c8ece11641f1/c35ee54bf55c432d6c7baccf40b8dd3e

I updated my Homepage Meta Description and my Title at the same time (early January) and it updated in Google almost immediately.

Why isn't my page title correct in Google search? Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2014
    Hi Lou,
    You may need to give it more time. From the looks of it, you seem to have changed your page title after the fact that Google updated it in their index last.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2014
    Hi Lou,
    You may need to give it more time. From the looks of it, you seem to have changed your page title after the fact that Google updated it in their index last.

How do you know that? Is there place I can look to check that in the future?
  • Options
    Les DoerflerLes Doerfler Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2014
    Lou,

I changed my Homepage Meta Description a few days ago and Google has not updated as of yet. It can take awhile apparently.

Here's a discussion I found that covers this topic. Good luck with your site. http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/4402187.htm

Cheers,

Les

http://www.lesdoerfler.com
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2014
    Thanks Les!

Sort of related... I am hosting my full web site on smugmug. Is there a way to set the Page title to something unique for each page? It appears the site title applies to the whole site.
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2014
    Thanks Les!

Sort of related... I am hosting my full web site on smugmug. Is there a way to set the Page title to something unique for each page? It appears the site title applies to the whole site.

Did you drag in a Title block for this purpose? If so, back out the title that populates in the title field so that it is blank, then save/publish the site. Then each page or gallery's title will auto-populate to its own name.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Did you drag in a Title block for this purpose? If so, back out the title that populates in the title field so that it is blank, then save/publish the site. Then each page or gallery's title will auto-populate to its own name.

HUH? Laughing.gif

Title block? Not sure what that is. Where is that?

"back out the title that populates in the title field so that it is blank" Do you mean the meta home page information in account settings?

"Then each page or gallery's title will auto-populate to its own name." Do you mean the Page title under page settings?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2014
    How do you know that? Is there place I can look to check that in the future?
    I went to your homepage and looked at the page source code. The description included there matches the one you've set up in your SmugMug account settings, but doesn't match what Google currently displays. That suggests that Google hasn't updated their index yet to reflect your changes.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2014
    HUH? Laughing.gif

Title block? Not sure what that is. Where is that?

"back out the title that populates in the title field so that it is blank" Do you mean the meta home page information in account settings?

"Then each page or gallery's title will auto-populate to its own name." Do you mean the Page title under page settings?

Oops, sorry, I misunderstood. When you said "page title" I thought you referred to a Title Block. You can add this block to the "all galleries" area of your site. When you drop it in, it will auto-populate the title of the gallery you happened to be in at the time you began to customize. At that point one needs to delete the title, then save. Otherwise if, for example, you were in "Trees in Vermont", then the title that auto-populated, Trees in Vermont, will appear as the title in all galleries. By deleting the title completely and then saving the settings that way, each gallery's unique title will populate correctly.

Anyway, so sorry, I see this was unrelated to your issue.