Options

Smart Gallery - Geography

pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
edited December 16, 2015 in Bug Reporting
I haven't figured out how the geography smart rule is supposed to work but it doesn't seem to be working properly for me.

First, the search map button doesn't seem to do anything. When I place the pin on the map, it shows the latitude and longitude and a radius. How is the radius chosen? I'd expect to choose a location and then choose the radius. But it just picks a number.

Ok, the real bug is with the "Include my unlisted/password protected galleries" option. When I select yes, all of my geotagged photos are found as expected (since it set a radius of about 17,000 miles around the point I chose), including those in unlisted galleries. When I change it to no, no photos are found. It should still find all the geotagged photos in my public galleries.

This is happening in Firefox 26.0.

Dave

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2014
    I drop a pin in the middle of my state and get this

That 92°21'56 should have a minus sign in from of it.
    -92°21'56
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    mrneutronmrneutron Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2014
    The search maps button not working is a bug. Our engineers are aware of it. I'll let the engineers know about the unlisted/passworded gallery problem.
    Andy K
    SmugMug Support Hero
    help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2014
    mrneutron wrote: »
    The search maps button not working is a bug. Our engineers are aware of it. I'll let the engineers know about the unlisted/passworded gallery problem.

Oddly enough I was able to create another smart gallery using the first one as the source. Setting unlisted/passworded to no eliminates those photos. But it also seems to have somewhat destroyed my site. Contantly hanging up on different pages, etc. Have a help desk ticket open on that. Seems that geography smart galleries might just not play well.

Dave
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2014
    I have to set this to YES to see any photos.
    Include my unlisted/password protected galleries:

Set to NO I see none.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2015
    mrneutron wrote: »

This bug still hasn't been fixed. Clearly smart galleries functionality needs a major overhaul, but it would be nice if the geography bug was fixed.

All I want is a page with a map that shows all of my public geotagged photos. Unfortunately smugmug doesn't provide that functionality by default. So I created a smart gallery using a geography rule to get all the photos into one gallery I can point a map content block to.

Setting "include unlisted/password protected galleries" to No yields no photos. That's the bug. So I set it to Yes. Then I need a second smart gallery which pulls photos from the first smart gallery but now not including unlisted photos.

That has worked fine for 2 years since I reported this bug, but I'm now finding photos disappearing from my map. It's because my first smart gallery has reached the 1000 photo limit due to a lot of cell phone pics in an unlisted gallery (all geotagged). The cell phone pics have bumped "real" pictures out of the first gallery so now they don't appear in the second gallery.

Just fix the bug. It's been 2 years. Unfortunately I think smugmug is more likely to remove the geography smart rule or smart galleries altogether since they probably confuse a lot of users.

Dave
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited December 16, 2015
    I think it would be very hard for us to justify completely removing Smart Galleries. You are correct, it needs an overhaul.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations