Options

"Butt Dial"

danieloowensdanieloowens Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited February 1, 2014 in Sports
Unfortunately this happens to me quite frequently. :D
This is what I call a "Butt Dial".
I'll be dialed in and then switch cameras while I'm moving around to only find out that when I switch back my "butt" has moved one of the dials on the camera to either over or under expose a cool shot. In this case, while in Manual mode, the shutter went from 1/600th of a sec to 1/60th of a sec and I took twenty-two pictures before noticing. :D:dunno:D
Daniel O Owens
"The Motocross Photographer"
I photograph ATV Motocross, ATV & Dirtbike GNCC Racing, Amsoil ARENACROSS & private sessions for riders, teams and manufactures.
My two main clients are NumberOneATV and Dirt Rider Magazine.

Comments

• Options
    fmrnykrfmrnykr Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2014
    Daniel,

Can't you lock your controls? I can lock both the shutter & F/setting on my Nikon D3/D3s. I was running into that problem when I was doing event photography.

Too bad you ruined a great shot.

Bob
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2014
    fmrnykr wrote: »
    Daniel,

Can't you lock your controls? I can lock both the shutter & F/setting on my Nikon D3/D3s. I was running into that problem when I was doing event photography.

Too bad you ruined a great shot.

Bob

Hey Bob, I know that I can lock my exposure dial but to be honest I haven't looked into if whether or not I can lock the shutter dial. I'll have to do some digging in the manual for that one. Unless anyone knows how to do that on a 1dMarkiii that would be great! :D
    Thanks
    Daniel O Owens
    I photograph ATV Motocross, ATV & Dirtbike GNCC Racing, Amsoil ARENACROSS & private sessions for riders, teams and manufactures.
  • Options
    budman101budman101 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2014
    This happens to me all the time. After much frustration I discovered it was the controls mounted on my battery grip. Found it was best to turn off the grip and shoot my verticals old school with the top mounted shutter button.
    www.joemallis.com
    "Most time its not the gear that makes the shot"
  • Options
    JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2014
    What happens most of the time to me is a get bored, shoot some sort of artsy fartsy thing and then forget to change my settings back.
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2014
    On a distantly related note, the Nikons (at least latter ones) suffer from a "feature" that has screwed me up a couple times.

When chimping (display mode), the top buttons like bracket, focus point, quality, etc. are still active.

While chimping it is common to scroll back and forward with your thumb on the control.

If you happen to press one of these buttons, and continue scrolling the shots, it changes the setting, not the image displayed. But all too often if the touch of the button was momentary, you don't notice you changed a setting, and just keep scrolling.

I shot half a volleyball game in TIFF mode ones, and at least 3 or 4 times have ended up in bracket mode without noticing immediately.

Took me a while to realize how it was happening.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2014
    Ferguson wrote: »
    On a distantly related note, the Nikons (at least latter ones) suffer from a "feature" that has screwed me up a couple times.

When chimping (display mode), the top buttons like bracket, focus point, quality, etc. are still active.

While chimping it is common to scroll back and forward with your thumb on the control.

If you happen to press one of these buttons, and continue scrolling the shots, it changes the setting, not the image displayed. But all too often if the touch of the button was momentary, you don't notice you changed a setting, and just keep scrolling.

I shot half a volleyball game in TIFF mode ones, and at least 3 or 4 times have ended up in bracket mode without noticing immediately.

Took me a while to realize how it was happening.

Wow that would stink! :-/
    Daniel O Owens