Options

Keyword weirdness (catastrophic)

Comments

• Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2014
    yaypie wrote: »
    We've tried to reduce the ambiguity of parsing space-separated keywords by implementing the following rules in the new parser (once again, these changes aren't live yet, but will be once we finish testing):
    • If the keyword string doesn't contain a comma, semicolon, or pipe, then we treat spaces as delimiters unless the space is enclosed in quotes. So [zoo San Diego San Diego Zoo] becomes "zoo", "San", "Diego" after duplicates are removed, but [zoo "San Diego" "San Diego Zoo"] becomes "zoo", "San Diego", "San Diego Zoo".

There's a side effect when using Lightroom and the plug-in. Lightroom happily creates multi-word keywords with spaces and treats them as a unit. If I attach one such keyword to an image and upload via the plugin, it's going to be parsed into several single-word keywords. That's a mismatch between the Smugmug and Lightroom models for keywords. At the moment it's not a big deal for me -- I have exactly one such multiword keyword that gets used alone -- but a mismatch like this can be lurking bomb waiting for me or someone else to step on it.

So, it would seem there needs to be a patch somewhere to reconcile the behavior between these two models. For example, it would work if the plugin wrapped individual multi-word keywords in quotes before uploading. It would work if the plug-in had some other flag saying a single multiword keyword was coming. (If I attach two such keywords, the plugin inserts a comma, so there all is cool.) Perhaps a different adjustment could be made.

Mr. Parry (devbobo), can you save the day?

Jim Ringland
    jtringl.smugmug.com
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2014
    I hope you'll forgive us for this misstep.
    Bravo yaypie clap.gifclap.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2014
    I just unveiled and I have a huge amount of combined keywords. All combined keywords were cleaned up
    before I unveiled today. Plus I have a huge amount of number keywords extracted from filenames. I had and
    still have it set not to do that in settings.

What gives Smug?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    yaypieyaypie Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2014
    Sorry to hear that, Allen. The keyword changes we've been discussing here are still in testing and aren't yet live. As I said, these changes fix quite a few bugs, but they're large changes and we're testing them very thoroughly, which is why it's taking a while.
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2014
    Sorry to hear that, Allen. The keyword changes we've been discussing here are still in testing and aren't yet live. As I said, these changes fix quite a few bugs, but they're large changes and we're testing them very thoroughly, which is why it's taking a while.

I don't know how things are organized at smugmug, but have they considered putting you in charge of... everything?

Smugmug and testing aren't words that seem to go together anymore.

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2014
    The keyword fixes are now live!
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2014

Is there a delay due to indexing that will cause the fix to take some time to populate? Still seeing all the same errors in my keywords list, but I'm assuming they need to re-index.

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2014
    pilotdave wrote: »
    Is there a delay due to indexing that will cause the fix to take some time to populate? Still seeing all the same errors in my keywords list, but I'm assuming they need to re-index.

We aren't automatically re-indexing existing keywords, but if you go back and edit broken keywords, then they'll be re-indexed.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2014
    thumb.gifWhoop, the photo showed up for keyword _test's. Been checking everyday. :D
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2014
    Spoke too soon, just found 5 multi-keywords split into singles on the first keyword I checked. None
    of the singles show in the keyword list though? /keyword Only show split under the photos.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    Spoke too soon, just found 5 multi-keywords split into singles on the first keyword I checked. None
    of the singles show in the keyword list though? /keyword Only shoe split under the photos.

Link?
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2014
    Link?
    I fixed them all. Will link next one I find, if any. Playing with adding in the single quotes.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2014
    Found five more split checking another keyword. These first two KW's I've found are new keywords added
    since going into sandbox. Both of these KW's were copied from a text file so they were all entered
    exactly the same. ALL had ending semi-colons. The split ones so far are single multi-word like this.
    xxxx xxx xx xxxx;

In both smart galleries if more then the one KW I've not seen any splitting.
    xxxx xxx xxxx; xxxx xxx;
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2014
    Now Smug just went down!!
    Reset modem and router, good now,
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2014
    Another smart gallery. Repeat post #74, single multi-words are splitting. 46 photos in gallery, 12 single mult-words split.
    One multi-word did not split but it had "" around it. All others were multiple multi-words and ok.

All the splitting single mult-words probably ended with a semicolon with no double quotes.

single mult-words means only the one KW
    xxx xxxx xxxx xx;

I think by default when adding keywords the trailing semicolon is removed so when going back into
    edit it's not there. That's what I see on every edit, trailing ";" gone.
    So your program probably did not see one and split the mult-words into singles.

In gallery edited split KW by removing all the ";" and saved. Went back into edit and
    double quotes now around it all with no semicolon at the end.
  • Options
    pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2014

I was hoping the keyword fixes would include the problem of keywords on videos not working...any news on when that might be fixed?
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2014
    All the splitting single mult-words probably ended with a semicolon with no double quotes.

single mult-words means only the one KW
    xxx xxxx xxxx xx;

I think by default when adding keywords the trailing semicolon is removed so when going back into
    edit it's not there. That's what I see on every edit, trailing ";" gone.
    So your program probably did not see one and split the mult-words into singles.

In gallery edited split KW by removing all the ";" and saved. Went back into edit and
    double quotes now around it all with no semicolon at the end.

That's correct. When displaying keywords in the edit field, we won't display a trailing semicolon, but will use quotes to enclose a single multi-word keyword. As long as a single multi-word keyword is enclosed in quotes, it will be preserved. If you have multiple multi-word keywords, you can either enclose each of them in quotes and separate them with spaces, or separate them with semicolons, commas, or pipes.
    pbandj wrote:
    I was hoping the keyword fixes would include the problem of keywords on videos not working...any news on when that might be fixed?

Sorry, these fixes didn't include any changes to parsing video metadata. That's something I'd like to work on, but I can't offer a timeline (lots of stuff on my plate, and metadata is tricky -- especially videos).
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2014
    That's correct. When displaying keywords in the edit field, we won't display a trailing semicolon, but will use quotes to enclose a single multi-word keyword. As long as a single multi-word keyword is enclosed in quotes, it will be preserved. If you have multiple multi-word keywords, you can either enclose each of them in quotes and separate them with spaces, or separate them with semicolons, commas, or pipes...
    Every keyword I've added in the last year or so is separated by semicolons. This includes multi-word. If
    only one KW and it's a multi-word I ended with a semi-colon. This is how we were directed.

Now a lot all the single multi-word KW's are split. I suggest when performing any kind of operation on
    photo keywords add a trailing comma or semicolon to it first.

The bulk edit needs to be fixed, when adding a multi-word keyword from "add" box at top it adds
    , one two (if another KW exists, ok when saved)
    or if none
    one two (blank, splits when saved)

This means when saved it auto splits the single multi-word into two keywords from the blank. The bulk edit should add
    multi-words with quotes.

I'm 1/3 way thru my ~190 smart galleries fixing split KW's. Weird part is almost all of the split KW's do
    not show on the /keyword page.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2014
    Every keyword I've added in the last year or so is separated by semicolons. This includes multi-word. If
    only one KW and it's a multi-word I ended with a semi-colon. This is how we were directed.

Now a lot all the single multi-word KW's are split. I suggest when performing any kind of operation on
    photo keywords add a trailing comma or semicolon to it first.

You can continue doing this, and it will work fine when saving keywords. However, trailing delimiters will be removed before your keywords are displayed back to you. This is part of the normalization step the new parser does to ensure that keywords are always saved in a consistent format.

If you enter a single multi-word keyword followed by a trailing delimiter, like this:
    birthday party;

...then after you save the keywords and open the editor again, you'll see:
    "birthday party"

If you enter a single-word keyword followed by a trailing delimiter:
    birthday;

...then the trailing delimiter will simply be removed:
    birthday
    The bulk edit needs to be fixed, when adding a multi-word keyword from "add" box at top it adds
    , one two (if another KW exists, ok when saved)
    or if none
    one two (blank, splits when saved)

Yeah, the legacy bulk editor has some bugs. We're working on a modern replacement for it, but that's a separate project from the new keyword parser.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2014

Yeah, the legacy bulk editor has some bugs. We're working on a modern replacement for it, but that's a separate project from the new keyword parser.
    I've used this trying to remove old <font> or any tags, etc, in captions. But doesn't work. I can't see
    why it doesn't recognize all characters. This is needed to clean up captions.

The old bulk doesn't work for /keyword pages forcing me to use a smart gallery to edit them. This
    needs to be fixed.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2014
    pbandj wrote: »

So, I looked into this and uncovered some details for you.

Turns out we do support XMP ("Subject" field only), IPTC, and QuickTime keyword metadata on videos. But I was surprised to discover that Lightroom doesn't actually write keyword metadata when it exports a video, and it's possible other image/video editing tools don't as well.

One solution to this, if you use Lightroom, is to use the official SmugMug Lightroom plugin to upload your videos to SmugMug. It adds metadata in a separate step from uploading, to ensure that keywords and other metadata are preserved.

If you're sure that your keywords are actually being stored in the video metadata but SmugMug still isn't extracting them, send me a link to the affected videos and I'll take a look.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2014
    I copy videos from my 7D to my hard drive then upload to Smug. No changes.
    Nothing is picked up especially the date taken.

I add keywords to these videos on Smug and none will show on a keyword page.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2014
    I copy videos from my 7D to my hard drive then upload to Smug. No changes.
    Nothing is picked up especially the date taken.

I add keywords to these videos on Smug and none will show on a keyword page.

Can you give me a link to one of these videos so I can take a look?
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2014
    Can you give me a link to one of these videos so I can take a look?
    How about 394 of them. All with keyword bird_videos. This is smart gallery that works on KW.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/MyKeywords/Bird-Videos/n-gF9bt/i-Hs3j9Hz

/keyword page
    http://www.photosbyat.com/keyword/bird_videos
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2014
    How about 394 of them. All with keyword bird_videos. This is smart gallery that works on KW.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/MyKeywords/Bird-Videos/n-gF9bt/i-Hs3j9Hz

/keyword page
    http://www.photosbyat.com/keyword/bird_videos

Thanks Allen! This helped me find the bug that's preventing videos from showing up in keyword indexes. It's unrelated to the metadata actually embedded in videos, but I'll get this fixed. You don't need to do anything on your end; once the fix goes out, your videos will just start showing up on keyword pages where they should be.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2014
    Thanks, that would be great!
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2014
    I just noticed one of the videos that had date modified in the info. Most don't.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/MyKeywords/Bird-Videos/n-gF9bt/i-Dtwbj5F

But I think it's impossible to modify before it was taken. Notice img/mov file numbers.

Name IMG_1496_7D2.jpg
    Size 2490 x 1660
    Date Taken 2013-01-09 13:43:19
    Date Modified 2013-01-28 16:50:26

Name MVI_1497.MOV
    Size 1920 x 1080
    Date Modified 2013-01-09 05:43:23

Name IMG_1499_7D2.jpg
    Size 2490 x 1660
    Date Taken 2013-01-09 13:44:38
    Date Modified 2013-01-28 16:51:22
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2014
    Thanks Allen! This helped me find the bug that's preventing videos from showing up in keyword indexes. It's unrelated to the metadata actually embedded in videos, but I'll get this fixed. You don't need to do anything on your end; once the fix goes out, your videos will just start showing up on keyword pages where they should be.

Looks like you fixed it!

Yaypie, how are you with UI design? We have some more projects for you! :D

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2014
    Good here also, whoop.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2014
    Yesterday I found 10 different keywords that were split. I have not touched the photo containing
    galleries or these keywords for a long time. I have cleaned up all split keywords weeks ago, so
    this is something new Smug is screwing up.

Edit: Has Smug re-indexed all my keywords since my last post?