Christmas present for Mom

mgoundmgound Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
edited December 21, 2005 in People
I am working on this photo to give to my wife for Christmas of our 3 children. Please critique as I want it to be the best.

48950706-O.jpg
Land on your right foot. Don't forget it!

Comments

• binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    that's a really cool picture and i really like it a lot. great b&w conversion, great eyes but i have a couple comments:

i think the eldest's arm should be covered like the other two children, just to create more continuity.

i wish the eldest's eye wasn't covered by her hair.

i'm sorry if i'm being blunt, but as much as i love it, this picture doesn't exactly scream "holiday spirit"

i think you did a great job.
  • mgoundmgound Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    I appreciate the critique. I agree about the arm. Thanks. Need to reshoot.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    G'day & welcome back mate. That is a fantastic gift & i agree about the arm ..would love to see it in colour to see what light you had to work with to convert.

Gus
  • r1150gsadventurer1150gsadventure Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Hi
    I like portrait very much. Absolutely no comments about technique or other. Just one point for your consideration:

I find the "pose" of "turning the back to the viewer and looking over the sholder" does have kind of an "unrespectfull" meaning in it.... good possible I'm too "picky", even better possible you can't understand what I mean because of terrible english!

Cheers from white Switzerland
    The one who's finding wrong spelling or grammar can keep it!
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    I agree with all the comments.. GREAT shot (fix the arm) but from a womans point of view (mom) I would have liked to see them from the front.. I agree that this pose is slightly off putting.. it's "turning your back" and gives a certain feeling.

It's a great shot tho for other occasions.:D
    edited December 20, 2005
    Great comments. Thanks to everyone. It is great to have a place like this for critique. You guys are the best! Happy Holidays

ps. My wife's personality is a bit on the macabre sideumph.gif
    edited December 21, 2005
    Gus, Here is a color version from the shoot. I guess I wrote over the original when I did the conversion.
    49113392-L.jpg

Tried to reshoot but could not get the eyes right so tried retouching the arm
    49113390-S.jpg
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    Not as much light as i originally thought. There is def a secret to good B&W's & im going to learn it come hell or high water.

Ta mate.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    mgound wrote:
    49113390-S.jpg

They should start a band. That would make a nice album cover. The only comment I would add to the above is that the youngest's neck seems twisted awkwardly.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops